Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of getting rid of the Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Aug 10, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

It was my parents for 9 years, I finally got it last month knowing I would have to fix some things. But I might not beable to afford it and might not even take it off-road much if any. It's an 80 btw.

I got it for my graduation money (2 grand) Then things seem to be going out. The power steering pump is leaking (not an expensive fix though) the engine ticks a little, there's some vibration from the rear end when accelerating. There's holes in the body from removing the ugly trim, the normal rust, body bushings, seals, etc that are bad.

I thought I would put some money into it per pay check, but I don't make a whole lot and don't have a lot of room to wok on it.

It gets 8 mpg or so, I don't do any off-roading really, maybe in the future I'll beable to afford to have an off-road truck, i'm 17 now.

That's a lotta typing, it's just hard to decide if I want to keep the big loud truck that's falling apart and getting horrible mpg, or a somewhat fast sporty car like a cavalier z24 that gets decent milege. The reason for this post is to ask for help on deciding if I should keep the jimmy or not, thanks.

2. anatomiczero

My parents said I need to keep it. I'm getting stressed out over this and other [censored], arghhh

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Adversity builds character...

I'd keep it and start by figuring out why it only gets 8 mpg. There is no reason for it to get under 12 if tuned properly and in somewhat stock form.

I've had my Jimmy for 5 1/2 years now and the list of things to fix or do hasn't got any shorter. The items on the list just change...I try not to let that bother me. Just start with the basics like getting reliable and getting better fuel mileage.

Cavaliers are crap...

Rene

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah dude, you should sell it for peanuts since all that stuff is going out. Then buy you a cavilier Zwhatever, those are badass cars. You'll be #1 at the drag races fo sho. I'm sure $250 a month on a payment will be better than just fixing your current junk. Go for it man, little wannabe fast commuter cars is where it's at. Make sure you give it the Type R treatment though, that's PHAT.

You still need to send in your $25 though just because you were here and it would be right.

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

You still selling yours Bryan?/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Rene

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yep, I've been looking at Kia Sophias. sporty, nice suvs with a touch of class. I hate having a big, noisy, manly K5. I want a small nimble, quiet, cute truck. Yep I've decided.

/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

HELL NO I"M NOT SELLING MINE. I'VE GOT MILEAGE IN THE CUMMINS (21 MPG) FOR MY DD. And I couldnt get anywhere near the cash outta my blazer as I've put in. I'm just gonna wheel it till it looks like recycled metal.

Did you find your axles yet?

7. tRustyK5

I'm glad you're keeping it Bryan!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Hmmm...axles, not yet. Donimator gave me a lead on some in Tacoma, I've called a few times but keep getting the guys machine. I'll call again later today and hopefully find out more.

I should be getting the 39.5's later next week though/forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif 3.73's and a D44 front with those should be the hot ticket for wheeling (until I find the diff's I'm looking for)

Rene

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

rock racing maybe...

And I thought I was bad with D44, 4.10, and 38's...

I guess sooner or later everyone's ship comes in though. Did you finally get a new job?

9. tRustyK5

No...I finally settled with my insurance company over the wreck I had in Portland in April 01./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I figure my truck took the big hit so I should sink the money back into the truck. That's the logic i used on my wife and it worked... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I'm still hoping to go back to my old job...or get a large prescription for Pro-zac so I can be happy at my present job./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude if you dont listen to a word the other guys said then listen to this. first off the jimmy is paid for....right ? so any money you put into it youll be keeping and getting it back out of the truck.if you buy something new to you but used(sounds like you cant afford a brand new vehicles payment)what happens if something goes wrong with it, youll have a car payment and a repair bill ! next i agree,find out why it is getting poor gas mileage. the thing must run pretty well, cause you posted a few post done from this one that you drag raced her....and even won ! as for parts, you'll never find anything else as inexpensive for the most part and as prolific on parts(salavge yards,auto parts stores) as these trucks. simpley because of the long production run of them 73'-91' ! in a nut shell unless its in such bad shape that it is unsafe to drive and you have air conditioning from so many holes in it, id keep her. like suggested, create a list and address each when time/money permits. keep a watch on the for sale forum here, youll find some good deals. and most importantly.....join up! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif seriously though, stay a part of the family,we like ya. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. anatomiczero

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm not sure how many mpg it gets, I've just read 8-10 is pretty average. I have no idea how to figure out how many mpg I get, I have 32" tires so the speedo and stuff is off a little.

My brother bought a 96 Cavalier Z24 and he makes $200 or so payments plus $200 or so on insurance, that's $400 a month for his car. Mine is only $139, so I'm probably better off with the Jimmy. I'll become a member soon when I have some extra cash.

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

good to hear your not so down. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i believe you wont be sorry. crawl underneath and check out the rust. clean up what you can and undercoat the hell out of her to prevent more rust. baby her, take good care of her and she'll reward you back being trouble free. think of your truck as your gf and spoil the hell out of it. come to think of it, spoil it more ! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif clean up in side and out. just think you have a truck(to haul stuff and tow stuff), a 4x4, and a convertible all in the same package. now how many people (other than the ones on here) can say that ? keep your chin up, you got good times ahead of ya ! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif btw, it might be worth your time and effort to run your rig down to the local shop and have it looked at to see what mechanical things that need addressed first.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so right! yea man im 16...and you should come take a look at the mess im into with my 84 haha..but i still love it and ill be fixing it forever..but it can be fun sometimes and it can be a major pain in the ass and ull want to blow it up sometimes..but in the end..all in all...its great! and i would NEVER drive a little tiny ass car..or car period! ....and loud and big is the way to go to me!

Bryan

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Just wanted to clarify my above post.

I own a 1979 Chevy Blazer with a worn out 350
    I also own a 2002 Dodge quadcab with a cummins.

No, I haven't done a cummins swap into a blazer, although the thought of swapping mine into a 3+3 SWB may be appealing in the far off future.

bryan

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Keep the truck.
    Here is a little story for you about my K5.
    The truck was owned by my son for a couple years. He was looking for a truck and wanted something big and cool. I saw the K5 for sale and showed him it. We looked it all over and he wanted it. I TOLD HIM, this is not your average truck and you WILL need to work on it to keep it up (lift=u joints etc.). He said no problem so he bought it. He drove it to school and loved all the looks everyone gave him and how they all knew his truck. Did he wheel it (Yes), did he work on it (No). He drove it until he blew the motor. I told him I would help him fix it but he just put it off, then bought a used BMW. The truck sat there for a year with nothing done. He wanted the sporty car. He then blew the motor in the BMW. We found one in a junk yard and put it in but he never really had the same car so he sold it. I hated seeing the truck just sit there and because he owed me a lot of money, I made him the offer to clear his bills with me by signing it over to me (more $$$ then it was close to worth). I took the truck and started building it and never stopped. I under stand he didn't want to work on it, clean it or spend money on it but now when he see it, he just goes WOW. He never realized what it could be with some hard work and has a dad that would have helped him. He has went through several other peice of junk sporty cars but they just fall apart. They are not as tough as a truck. His doesn't have a family like I do on CK5.
    Be smart and work with what you have and you will be paid back.
    Take care of your truck and it will take care of you.
    Stick with the guys that can help you figure things out, <font color="red"> US </font color>.
    Oh! and since your parents won't let you buy the car, ask them for help fixing up your truck since they sold it to you. Just don't tell them I said that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .
    <font color="blue">CK5 and Chevy rules! </font color>

16. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess you could say I'm in a similar situation. I am going off to college soon, 2.5 hours away. The blaze doesn't get close to good enough mileage to take with, so I'm sorry to say that it will be up for sale in the near future. I've already got my next buildup planned and have started searching for the parts I need, I'm just afraid to tell y'all what it is, cause you'll verbally abuse me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ! I am just living with the fact that I won't get half of what I put into it! Anyone looking for a nicely built 77 K5?! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Later....ALlan

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Allan...........you are NOT going down that road again, are ya? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You going to Oregon State?

Good luck to ya whatever ya do..............that's a nice rig. Put it in the truck trader here in Portland, tho I see a LOT of nice Blazers for sale your truck is nicer than most if not all.