Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of going full convertible

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Mar 12, 2007.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Hey all, I have my 84 blazer. I have been thinking of going full convert like 73 through 75. I saw the tech articles and doesnt seem to difficult. Thing is I dont want to get a whole donor truck. Question is, has anyone done or tried to do this besides the tech article. Also can I just get the A-pilliar to graft on to the truck? thanks in advance

2. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

It's probably not hard to do, just hard to do right. You'll probably want to get as much of the windshield frame from the donor as you can, more than you plan to graft together. I've got a '74 and just building a set of doors from newer models took quite a bit of time, but again I tried to copy the originals as much as possible and make the nice. Sawing of the b-pillar shouldn't be a big deal:confused: If you decide to do it take your time, measure twice and cut once, much easier that way(speaking from experience):D

3. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I have a few buddy's that do body work so im hoping they could lend a hand. Im hoping to avoid getting a donor.

4. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As I recall:

There was someone on here a LONG time ago (2002 or so) who simply chopped the top off his half cab K5 and welded the gaps shut with small chunks of steel. They cleaned all the welds up and it looked pretty darn good.

AFAIK, you could do this too. The BIG advanatage of grafting on the old windshield section is the ability to put the full Fiberglass top on.

If you do not want to put a hardtop on, just cut away my friend! If you want a hardtop, then I think your best bet (BY FAR) is to go with grafting on the other windshield frame.

Other thing: The '73s to '75s had 'rocker boxes' that stiffened up the body so that it wouldn't sag too much when the top was off. If you chop your top off, you really should consider putting in a cage to keep your body from sagging and binding the doors.

Hope this helps!

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I have thought about just hacking it off, but grafting seems to be a better choice so far. I plan also to put a cage in. Should I put the cage in first?

6. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

ok I was reading in Peterson's 4wheel about that rag top they put on their k5. Would I be able to adapt that or something similar to work instead of grafting for a hard top?

7. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

As I recall:

There was someone on here a LONG time ago (2002 or so) who simply chopped the top off his half cab K5 and welded the gaps shut with small chunks of steel. They cleaned all the welds up and it looked pretty darn good.

AFAIK, you could do this too. The BIG advanatage of grafting on the old windshield section is the ability to put the full Fiberglass top on.

If you do not want to put a hardtop on, just cut away my friend! If you want a hardtop, then I think your best bet (BY FAR) is to go with grafting on the other windshield frame.

Other thing: The '73s to '75s had 'rocker boxes' that stiffened up the body so that it wouldn't sag too much when the top was off. If you chop your top off, you really should consider putting in a cage to keep your body from sagging and binding the doors.

Hope this helps!

My doors don't bind or sag. You don't need a cage unless you are going to wheel it. :D

8. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Yup im going to wheel it. Thanks again 73k5kid for the info

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Before:

[​IMG]

During (new frame not grafted on yet, but doors cut)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frame staked and fit-up.

[​IMG]

After (without hardtop)

[​IMG]

After with Hardtop installed:

[​IMG]

Rene

10. solidaxlesub

solidaxlesub 1/2 ton status

*edit*

No selling parts in the Garage. We have a classified section for that...

Rene

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Dang looks like I cant get around using a donor truck. just hate to cut one up for a few pieces

12. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

No problem with the info. Hope the info works for you. You can just cut your top and doors. And run a 73-75 softtop. If you do decide to cut your 84 doors your going to have to get the parts out of a pair of 73-75 doors and use them to cut your 84 doors. :eek1:

13. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Ya running a soft would be fine. Hell the top would be off most of the time anyway but there are times when you need a lil protection from those unexpected rain storms:D If Im just gonna use a soft top where do I make the cuts at? Sorry to keep draggin this out:D :bow:

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could do what I did and post up a wanted ad for the windshield frame and hardtop. I had a couple to choose from and one happened to be close enough to drive down and pick up...

Rene

15. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Ya thats true, ill give it a shot