Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of going J***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, May 19, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have almost had it with my K5, it is so hard to find stuff for it. My truck has so much rust and where the rust is they do not make repair panels. I was lucky that the original owner bought an oem replacement cargo floor before it was dicontinued or the rear quaters would of fallen off if I took the top off. Plus trying to find a good, cheap, D60 is like trying to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Believe me, I love my truck, but unless I make it a strictly off road vehicle, it is not worth my time. At least with the J*** I can find parts for it and repair panels if needed. I am sorry for rambling I will stop now, i do not know what came over me, but I think it is time to get a J*. I will post all parts that I am planning to sell from my K5, when I find a good project J***. Sincerly a frustrated 1978 K5 Blazer owner.

1978 K5, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you mean CJ style or Cherokee?

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Either CJ or Wrangler.

4. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

I didn't feel sick or hungover until I read your post!

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

What repair panels can you not find?

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

There is alot of sites,and junkyards that sell repair panels you just have to look for them...I rather ride a bike then buy a Heep!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I think I need to find a cherry K5 to be happy. I forgot to mention that my frame is bent. I am going to look for a nice K5 before I start looking for a HEEP.

8. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Good idea lookin for another K5 But dont go to the dark side ! Anyways How could you give up a site like this [​IMG]

- SlyDog [​IMG]

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Here..... I found a Blazer for you.[​IMG]
    Don't give up on us. If you had a Blazer like this do you think
    you would be happy? Bet you would. You just need a newwer K5. Chevy trucks have a ton more options & parts.
    Jeeps have a lot of parts available but that's because THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    post a note "I need a new Blazer" and see what happens.

[​IMG]

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Storm Trooper;
    Is that Rene's new tRusty K5? When did he go on another lake bed adventure?

Twiztid

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

yunit;

What???? Can't find parts? For a chev- com'on. I'm waiting for the punch line here.

Honestly, I've gawked at a bunch of Jeeps. Some of them are pretty awesome rides. Blazers and the rest of the original "SUVs" (i'm useing that term loosely here) probably would not have exsisted with out them, same with the camaros, they are Chev's replay to the Mustang. Thats just the way the market is.

But.
    Do you realy think your going to be ahead of the game with a Jeep? Around here, they are more money off the batt, and you get way less. And just what kind of shape do you think a Jeeps going to be in?- I've checked and everyone I've seen needed a grand thrown at 'em just to get them passed a state inspection (I was in the $2,000 doller market) I'm honestly not kidding. I bought '73 K5 for $2000, and it needed nothing, and was in way better shape than all the CJs I looked at in the same price range. Jeeps are in high demand right now, high deman = high prices. Chevs are plentiful so that keeps their prices down- get it? Later, I bought a non-running K5 for $300, slapped a 305 engine in it that someone wanted to get out of thier garage, put a clutch in it, and $800 (total) I have a daily driver beater that will not quit. Its nasty and rusty, but has never let me down! And I can get parts for it EVERYWHERE! If you look at it realistickly, you will see my point.

Twiztid

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I got a Joop but I still kept my Blazer.Its a 76 Grand Cherokee.Its got a 360/400/?transfer case and Dana 44s front and rear. Its a 2 door ,bout the same size as my blazer.Its a cool truck but you dont see them in wrecking yards and nobody makes repo parts for these things.Ive seen Chevy trucks in every yard Ive ever been to and there are a ton of repo parts out there.

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

13. Chaotical

Chaotical Registered Member

Hey did sombody loose a J**p? I found one under my JIMMY

C'mon bud.. keep that GM spirit alive!!!!

Chaotic Entertainment
    85 Jimmy 4" Lift, 3" body Lift, Dana 44, 14bff,
    37" SSR's
    Salt Lake City

14. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ewww don't go HEEP on us. I'm SERIOUSLY frustrated about my K5. I've got tons of rust in places that I've never found patch pannels for. I need new shift fork/shift fork bushings, until then I'm with out 4wheel drive. I cracked the frame around the steering box the first time I off roaded the thing. I've got a weak ole 305 that gets piss poor mileage. I've got weak arse 10 bolts in the thing. I had to replace the alternator and I think I will again soon enough, had to replace the starter. My doors need to be adjusted so they shut tighter. ALL this crap, yet I love my K5 so much I just can't bring myself to get rid of her. I know someday, after tons of work and even more money she'll be even more perfect than she is now. So just hang in there, or at least get another GM, no stupid Heeps.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

15. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If you can't find any part for a chevy truck you are in a comma[​IMG] As far as the dana 60 jeeps don't come with them so you would have to buy and modify them any ways.

16. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

73-87 GM trucks are the easiest trucks EVER to find parts for. Including the body parts: LMC, Cheyenne pickup parts, Year One, etc.
    Also, let me tell you that I owned 2 Blazers, loved them and sold them and then wanted to see what a Jeep would be like. It was fun to drive, fast, the girlies liked it, but the repair bills were killer, it couldn't tow much, it couldn't haul much and the parts were more expensive than Chevy stuff.
    You can wheel pretty OK with a stock Blazer. With my Jeep the front Dana 30 was always in bad shape, the rear AMC 20 had to be upgraded to one piece axles, and the engine and tranny were swapped out for more power and more strength. Oh yea, one more thing. The engine in the Jeep blew up and thats why I got rid of it. Keep the K5.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

17. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i will say that i do like some jeeps. but the way i feel about them is if it dose not have flat finders then its not worth it. and y would you want to own something that ford use to own? granted that they didn't do anythign to it but put there name on it and change the valve cover. but still its a ford. k5 blazers made it to petersons top 10 4x4 ever do to the fact that you can get parts for them anywhere.

18. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Dude, I know how you feel. my 87 is rotted out in all the places that they DON'T make patch panels for.. like the anchors for the seatbelts, my roof is actually rusting from the inside out, and a tailpan repro is a ton of $. BUT, there is hope! I ran into my 84! it needed a front clip, a windsheild and some tires, but the body was nice! Slight floor rust, but it was in great condition for a Jersey truck! You can probably find a nice K-5 or GM shortbed before going to a "Heep"

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    [​IMG]

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Sorry for making so many people upset. I am currently looking for a newer k5. I took my friends Jeep for a ride and guess what? Being almost 6'5" in a jeep is not good. This totally turned me off. So now I am in search of a new K5, if anyone in the New Jersey area knows of a K5, with little rust, and under $2000-3000, let me know. The truck does not need an engine or trans. Thanks, Pete.