Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thinking of maybe using an old back half of blazer tub

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by down4thakrown, Jul 23, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i want thinking maybe i could cut the back half of a k5 off and take the outer skins off and bolting it on the back of my truck. i was thinking of using the holes that hold the shell down to run some angle iron down the sides then one across the front of the tub on the top and bottom then a screen to keep my stuff from falling out and for support. then see if i could use my old tailgate or if not make one or somthing. this is just an idea. not set in stone yet. keep in mind my rig is a 83 k5 frame with a 75 p/u cab on it. what do you guys think. could this work and look decent

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i dunno i suppose it could work but...it seems like a helluva lotta work to make it happen. plus after cutting the back off the K5 i would think it would become a big PITA to get it all straight and squared away again.

are you dead set on having a bead on it? do you plan to use the K5 back half to utilize the back seat? Why not get some random bed off a totaled truck at the JY and make that work.

on a side note if your not dead set on having a "traditional" bed on your rig i think that flatbeds frakin rock:saweet: so that's a thought and you could make it suit whatever needs you have as well and i'd say it would be realativly easy to build. :thinking:

3. down4thakrown

i dont think it would be that bad. just run some angle iron of at the top and bottom in the front with a screen/aluminum. and the tailgate sould keep most of it together. and just cut it down till the holes line up and leave a gap inbetween bed and cab for flex.

4. bigcountryk5

i suppose your right and if you brace it up really well before all the chopping it should hold a little closer to straight.

just outta curiousity why you wantin' to go with the back half of a K5 as opposed to something else :confused:

5. down4thakrown

well i was goin to do it cuz i was hoping to get one for like under 100$ because i thought it was half off all weekend but, ended up bein just sat. and i couldn't find not one 80's k5 at any other junkyard besides the one with the sale. and when i asked how much it would be, they told me it could be 150-350$ and i have to cut it off and bring it to the front of the building where you pay just find out the $. they wouldnt go in the back and look. :mad: so im probably just goin to drop that idea. i didn't really want to pay that much. if i was to get it for under 100 i figured it ain't bad to see what i can come up with. even if i was to use just the floor out of it. oh well, i'll probably make a flat bed for now and tube it in the future.

6. bigcountryk5

Sweet the next rig i build will definately have a flat bed on it :saweet: :saweet: