Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of moving to colorado

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by theperfectgarage, Apr 18, 2006.

1. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, my family and I are considering a move to either Pueblo area or Loveland. I need your real world input on the pros and cons of these places.
    I already know about how great the outdoor life is and the weather is fine. I'm most curious about the money and the housing costs.
    We are a family of four and our income is around $30,000. We like to live rural and dont mind splittin wood to heat the house. I work in parts sales, mostly recycled but will sell new ( napa ) If I have to. I can also weld ( production, fencing etc. ) Thanks for any info.
    Cary

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'd go Loveland over Pueblo any day. Great community, small, close-knit, close to the mountains. Definitely growing though. If you want the cheapest, Pueblo is probably the best choise. You might also look into the Colorado Springs area, Fountain, Falcon, etc.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would choose Loveland also, but I really don't know anything about Pueblo.

Loveland may be a little too expensive for your level of income. You'd be better off living somewhere farther east on the plains and working in Loveland or Ft. Collins. We live fairly well on about $38,000 yearly net living in a small town called Ault east of Ft Collins in a 1200sf house.

You'll be doing good to find a decent house around $150,000-$160,000. You can get fixer-uppers for less. I'm talking about the northern Hwy 85 area; Greeley, Ft Lupton, Ault, Pierce, Eaton, LaSalle, Gilcrest, Platteville.

The wages in Ft Collins are much better than the Greeley area. I don't know much about Loveland specifically.

To be honest I'm not sure how housing costs go for Loveland, but I'm guess they are higher than the Greeley area I was discussing above. Anything I-25 and west is getting pricey. A lot of people in that area live here and commute to Denver for work.

Probably your least expensive mountain living is going to be Red Feather Lakes, west and north of Ft Collins. Housing is going to get cheaper the farther east of Hwy 85 you go, but the work is pretty scarse.

4. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are interested in welding, the western slope is booming in the oil and gas fields. I would guess that certified welders are bringing home good money. Climax Mine north of Leadville is going to reopen in 2009. Very little of the equipment is working and will need extensive repair. The story is that they are planning to spend something like $225 million on repairs just to get to the point they can reopen. Job Service in Leadville and Salida CO. are taking applications. Work is supposed to begin sometime this year. Mountain living is somewhat expensive but Climax has a reputation of taking good care of the work force. They are supposed to be hiring around 225 employees. Just a couple ideas of a couple different jobs in the mountains. Good luck.

fred2mihi

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

What do you do for a living?

6. fred2mihi

Bo, not to be a wiseguy but reread the second paragraph of the original post. I'll bet you will be able to tell him about any auto parts stores hiring help.

fred2mihi

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

T hanks for the info guys, Scott confirmed what I guessed from looking at the map, a lot of the area is a bedroom community for the denver work force and I'll have to steer clear of those areas.
    It also seems that If I shop hard and dont mind living more on the flatlands we can afford it. I'm not a certified welder but maybe some classes and certification before the move is a good idea... never any real money in auto parts.
    Thanks again for the help, Just another reason that CK5 is such a great place.
    Happy Motering, Cary:D

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

PM'd ya fellow Tucsonian:haha:

9. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

I lived in Loveland for a few months. Great place to be. Little less expensive than down here.

10. fred2mihi

You can have my job, I'm moving to the Western Slope! Delta to be exact!

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

DELTA?????? That's just Kansas, with more sage.:D :D

12. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What's up with the move Fred? Are they moving your wife again? I'd gladly move back to BV area. I love it there. Just not much for economy.

13. fred2mihi

Welllllll, she is moving herself, her current job has become unbearable for her. So we decided that we should move on. Plus we have lived in this area for 5 yrs, time to move on anyway. She will manage the Business Office for the Delta County Hospital, no travel and no clinic to manage also. 'Cides then I can just slip over to Moab to play. You're right about the economy it is tight, but but but Climax is going to reopen. :):) Hey Mike nice hole in the street down from your house!

14. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Fred...don't forget 21 road in junction and the new billings canyon trail...but ya...being a 100 miles from moab is a plus to living in junction/ fruita. We just bought 5 acres in fruita...needed plenty of room for all my spare K5's...lol.

DW

15. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:o Sorry Fredd I didn't know the oil spots I left in your driveway were going to piss you off that much. Oh well...now it looks like we get to do Junction area trails with free food and lodging for the next couple years :whistle:

16. fred2mihi

I guess we will have to hit the trails together once we get settled in. Did you see the run to Crystal Mill and Lead King Basin for mid-June. Hope you can join us.

fred2mihi

17. fred2mihi

Any Day, Any Time my man! i do wish you would come back and get those stains out of my driveway! :):)

fred2mihi hmmm guess I may have to change my monicure since I will be living a lot lower than now! Maybe frednolonger2mihi :):)

Fred

18. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

FlatlanderFred

19. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Somebody metioned it to me the other day...i just can't remember who just now. Oh damn...thats right it was GJK5...we are going thru him for our land and building loan. Haven't had a chance to read the post as of yet as i am watching to em tools on seperate rigs out here in parachute currently...but i will. If the 79 is done by then i'll make a effort to attend as attendance usually depends on rig schedules...but i might be able to pay a fellow co-worker to watch my rig for a day or so...

DW