Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of moving to OR.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Brians89K5, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I live in southern california right now and the wife and I hate it here. We grew up in the very area we have a house in. Her and i have been talking about moving up to the central coast but it doesn't seem to be very affordable. She and I have been looking up at Oregon and was wondering what life is like up there. So, everyone from Or tell me what its like. From the pictures it seems pretty neat. I used to live in the mountains in Arizona so snow and cold don't bother me so much anymore. Anway, let me know what ya'll think!

~Brian

2. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't move here we already have to many Californians:)

Seriously I live in Keizer, OR and really enjoy this area, 1 or 2 hours and I can be at the coast or in the mountains, Portland is only 35 minutes for me. Salem and Keizer are a lot more affordable then the Portland area for housing and a lot less traffic too.

You could also be looking in Eastern Washington like Spokane, Tri Cities, or Yakima or even going to Idaho. Just depends how many people you want to be around and how much land you want to live on. Central Oregon is great except the Bend area is getting to crowded and ritzy, but Hood River, The Dalles or Kalama Fall are great options two. If you want to do the Oregon Coast I like the Tillamouck area. I seriously sometimes think about starting over, selling the house and pulling up stakes and moving to Alaska, but I don't know if the wife would go with me:)

3. Brians89K5

I've given some thought to Alaska too. I want to live in an area where I can have some land. I'd like a couple of acres and not too many neighbors. That was I can have my shop and be left alone. :D Hows the weather? Does it snow in Salem? I was looking up in salem and there seems to be a lot of real nice houses up there.

~Brian

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It sucks here move father south...:D

5. Brians89K5

I suppose no one is going to promote a californian moving to their area... Im really cool though guys and I drive a blazer! :) Thats gotta be a small feather in my cap at least.

~Brian

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

call me in about a month.. :D

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Like rats off a sinking ship I tell ya...:haha: :haha: :haha: ;)

8. 2BLAZERS

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

10. UseYourBlinker

Hahaha.. :wink1:

11. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

We moved from Fresno to Oregon about 12 years ago. Then recently to Washington. Here's what you need to know.

Get rid of the California plates ASAP.
    Never carry an umbreiall, no matter how hard its ranining. They'll know right away you are from out of state.

Use Spendy in place of expensive, always.

Its a rig. No matter what it is, its a rig. A new Mercedes is a nice rig.

Wearing rubber boots to Safeway is acceptable.

12. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i hate salem. lived there for 14 years. it sucks, in my opinion. i really can't think of anything i like about it. if you want land, there's tons of other options aside from salem. i'd go to canby or saint paul for a place w/ land. i'd move to hood river in a heart beat if everything lined up good.

13. Brians89K5

Hahaha:haha: Yeah Claifornia Sucks! Hey thanks for the info 2blazers Ill share it with the wife... Maybe we can get off of this sinking ship after all!

~Brian

14. Brians89K5

Whats available in hood river? I still have to get a job when Im up there so I don't want to move to far away from everything....

~Brian

15. 2BLAZERS

There are a ton of little towns like Detroit, Stayton, Hood River, Hermiston etc.. that have affordable housing (compared to CA) and lots of jobs in larger cities nearby. Most jobs are going to be in Medford, Eugene, Bend, Salem, or Portland areas. Come up to OR this summer for vacation and explore or just load up and get an apartment in Portland or Salem until you find a job and a house to purchase which will give you time to look around too.

16. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I guess one big question would be what do you do for a living. Some areas here are very tech friendly while others are more construction oriented - we have to keep building houses for all the folks moving here from California:doah:

Western Oregon is, well, wet - very wet in the winter. Ditto on the umbrella thing, only woosies and New Yorkers use umbrellas:D However, we have super summers to make up for the wet - 70's and 80's from July to August with only 10 or 15 days of 90 plus normally. Central Oregon is more piny woods - think of an area like Tahoe or Victorville. I guess all I can say about Salem is politics and se habla espanol? Any further east the Bend is high desert - sage brush, junipers and critters.

If I were to move from here it would probably either central Idaho or Montanna. I fankly don't mind cold and snow, but man they have 300 + day a year hunting and fishing.:bow:

I guess the bottom line is come and visit, check out the job market in the areas you like, and watch the housing market. Some areas are very reasonable and some are just plain stupid (dare I say California?) pricing.

17. Brians89K5

ya'll have been really helpfull. I think this summer or maybe sometime during the winter my wife and should take a road trip up and check it out. Ill do just about anything for work. Ill be done with my BA degree in business and i have construction backround, resteraunt backround and Im going to start work for a bank in the next couple of months. Thank you very much for your informative views of Or. The web sites don't say much about life out in the area. Oh yeah, one more question..... Hows the wheelin out in those parts??????

~Brian

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:bow: Yer catchin on

19. UseYourBlinker

...also can't say the following.

" I just moved from CA."
    "hella"
    "like"
    "dood"

so what I've heard. :haha:

20. Brians89K5

I don't say that stuff anway man. :D Just because a lot of the people in california suck doesn't mean they all do. :wink1:

~Brian