Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of quiting smoking.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I started smoking at 14. I'll be 37 in a few weeks. I don't know how hard it'll be, but I think it's about time too give it up. Any former smokers have any recomendations ???

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

look at it this way Paul, you'll eventually quit , no matter what.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

keep smokin, my city needs it. RJR headquarters is here.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i wish i could quite /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I started smoking at 13...quit when I was 25...it was pretty hard, but once ya get past the first week, it gets better....

Then I started smoking again around 32 cause my girlfriend did...quit 4 years later at 36...That put the itch in bitch...much tougher the 2nd time around, since I kept the craving for about 2 months...I'm Tobacco free 18 years later and consider quitting tobacco one of the best things I have ever done...

Cold Turkey both times...cutting down just seems to draw out the agony and frustration...

My advice to anyone wanting to quit....Just make up your mind that you are ready, and Just Do It....Good Luck.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    look at it this way Paul, you'll eventually quit , no matter what.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Ain't that the truth !!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Quitting is cool and all, but what I go through when I do quit is not fun.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Deciding to quit and never start back up is the key. I wore the patch during the day for about 2 weeks then just increased my exercise, water and and B vitamins (helps diminish cravings) and toughed it out. Had physical cravings for 2-3 months, then psychological cravings for about a year. After 3 years never wanted to go back. Now it's like I never smoked.

At every craving you have to just decide that quitting is better.

Smoked for 20 years. I quit 6 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

BTW, I read in some medical article that your lungs will be completely regenrated in 5 years with new tissue.

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dude quit, youll live longer and be happier for it. my grandpa smoked all his life and he spent the last 8yrs of his life in hospitals and rehab centers, he had emphysema(sp?) and lung cancer. and now its killin my dad and my dad never smoked once, he jus had to live with someone who did. smoking is the most disgusting [I love Jeeps] anyone could ever do. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Quitting is cool and all, but what I go through when I do quit is not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
    how often do you quit, bubba?

11. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

just keep telling yourself that the money you save goes toward upgrades on the rig. you'd be amazed 100 packs of cigs can buy you one of those new iroks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how often do you quit, bubba?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've quit three times /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The first two times was when I was 18. Got sicker than a dawg both times. I mean downright snot slinging, fever running sick.

The last time I quit, never had anything go haywire.

What's bad is I like the taste of the chew. If I could find some non-nicotine snuff that tasted the same and had the same qualities as what my choice of snuff has, then I wouldn't have a problem with dropping it.

As for the smoking, I had two grandfathers that smoked all their lives, and that wasn't what kilt them.

The third though was bed ridden for about 5 years and was taking treatments for about 8 years before that cause his smoking had nailed him and now I'm dealing with a mother-in-law who's smoking is slowly getting to her.

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

quitting means more truck money..end of argument?? LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good luck on quitting..

14. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Didn't your mother tell you "nobody likes a quitter!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Add up the price for how many packs a day you smoke then multiply that by 365.... When you realize how much money is going into your lungs you'll have one more thing to hold onto while dealing with the cravings.

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What's bad is I like the taste of the chew. If I could find some non-nicotine snuff that tasted the same and had the same qualities as what my choice of snuff has, then I wouldn't have a problem with dropping it

I worked with a guy a couple years ago that lost a good part of his tongue, jaw, and cheek from dippin' that [I love Jeeps]...at least it caused a couple other guys on the crew to quit...

most of the guys I work with/around now (different location) also dip....the only time I tried a chew, I puked so bad I was scared I was gonna throw up something I was gonna need later....thought I saw my azz come out my nose once it was so bad....dip is some kinda nasty....And Much tougher to quit....I feel for ya....

16. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    What's bad is I like the taste of the chew. If I could find some non-nicotine snuff that tasted the same and had the same qualities as what my choice of snuff has, then I wouldn't have a problem with dropping it

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya there mmmmmm mmmm good Cope it satisfies.

I have quit a few times myself /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    just keep telling yourself that the money you save goes toward upgrades on the rig. you'd be amazed 100 packs of cigs can buy you one of those new iroks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I figured that out a couple days ago. I burn up (smoke) $1,800.00, (maybe alittle more) a year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So yes, I could really use that money for the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Called a "Stop Smoking" line this morning. They're going too have a counsler call me tommorow about getting on the patch. It's a national program that pays for half the costs for the patch. 1-866-737-8487 if anyone's intrested.

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you want some motivation go down to the local nursing home and spend a day visiting with all the 50-60 year olds with emphazima, lung cancer... Nothing like meeting someone first hand to motivate you to quit.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I'm quiting. My quit date is Aug 1st. I'm going through the American Cancer Socity's quit smoking program. Might as well let them pay for 50% of the patchs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif