Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of selling my amps

Discussion in 'Audio' started by clarkjw24, Aug 23, 2006.

1. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've recently purchased a new DD PSD and I don't think I'll ever put a system in it. Other than maybe upgrading the speakers. So I'm thinking of selling my amps. I don't really know what they're worth in todays scene. I've got

4 channel Alpline V12 built in crossover two sets of "ins" and one jumper set.
    2 channel 225 Hot Setup by Orion
    2 channel Old school Kenwood missing the harness but one can be made or bought

Could someone give me a guesstament what these would be worth? Should I put them on ebay or are they worth posting? I need new tires for the dually and a DP programmer, so trying to gather some funds.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Search Ebay for the amps you have and watch them for awhile, should give you a good idea what they're going for.

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately for your case, watts are becoming cheaper and cheaper these days. When I first got into car audio, a 500watt amp was considered excessive. Amps use to be compared by figuring dollars per watt, but now a days its how many watts per dollar. I can buy a 1500 watt amp for alot cheaper now than I could buy a 500 watt amp for not too many years ago. Bottom line, amps just aren't as valuable as they once were. IMO Z gave some very good advice, watch the market (like ebay) and see what they are going for. Hopefully you wont be too disappointed. :D

Kenwood resale value on amplifiers is pretty poor. They dont have a very good reputation for amplifiers. If it was me Id get what I can for those (especially since they are missing a part, albeit a minor one). The Alpine Id tout up for being 4-channel, highlighting its features (like a built-in x-over). The Orion Id try and sell as "old school hard to find". The "Hott Setup" amps were one of their lower lines iirc, but the buyer doesn't need this pointed out to him, say something like "old school Orion quality from before they were bought-out and sold-out". ;)

Good luck with your sales.

4. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

For the most part the Hott Setup models used the same electronic components as the Orion models. There were a few made with imported circuit boards, but not many.

Dave