Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinking of starting a new Buggy project...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeff427, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    I picked this Scout 800 up off ebay for cheap. Specs are 152, 4 speed, Dana 20, Dana 27's front and rear. It runs good and goes, although as you can see from the picture it is in very rough condition.

My thoughts on what I want to do, is to lose the body /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif, except for the firewall and windshield, and make a tube buggy /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif. I want to keep the 152 four cylinder, and the Dana 27's. I plan on swapping the 4 speed out for a 3 speed, because I want the 4 speed in my other Scout 800, but I may reconsider this. I would like to run either 31's or 33's on it. Has anyone ever done something like this? Any suggestions, recommendations?

P.S. I know this is a bit off topic from the Chevy core here, but the tube buggy concept isn't, which is why I am posting this here.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So your basically going to pull the body off of the frame and replace it with tube? Thats not a buggy, it's a scouty /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Anyway, sounds like a plan, be cool to incorporate the front clip into the tubing, maybe taper it down. Same with the rear bed sides.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So your basically going to pull the body off of the frame and replace it with tube? Thats not a buggy, it's a scouty /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Anyway, sounds like a plan, be cool to incorporate the front clip into the tubing, maybe taper it down. Same with the rear bed sides.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm...does that mean your building a crewy /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif? J/K, I think your Crew cab project is very cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.

As far as the body, I don't know if I want to keep any extra weight of the original body. The only reason I would be keeping the firewall, is for the simplicity of the keeping the stock clutch linkage, and windshield. Otherwise, I would like to keep it as light as possible, to try and keep the survivability of the Dana 27's up.

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My friend did that with his Scout.

Check out my webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84K10

He used pipe though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I could only find one pic of the Scout, do you have any more pics of it?

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Wouldn't buying someones cast off half or 3/4 ton stuff from a fullwidth be stronger? Or am I missing the point?

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't buying someones cast off half or 3/4 ton stuff from a fullwidth be stronger? Or am I missing the point?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, the thing is, I have at my disposal, 7 front Dana 27 axles, and 5 rear Dana 27 axles, all with 4.27 gears, and a few of them have Powr Locks. I can also get more of them for free. So it would be cool to have a light weight rig that could run these wimpy axles without bustin them on every run.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I kind of guessed a "GOD DAMN IT I'LL MAKE THIS WIMPY CRAP WORK" feel to the thread

Good luck!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    My friend did that with his Scout.

Check out my webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84K10

He used pipe though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I could only find one pic of the Scout, do you have any more pics of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just emailed my buddy and he sent me a picture, I'll post it up ASAP.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, the thing is, I have at my disposal, 7 front Dana 27 axles, and 5 rear Dana 27 axles, all with 4.27 gears, and a few of them have Powr Locks. I can also get more of them for free. So it would be cool to have a light weight rig that could run these wimpy axles without bustin them on every run.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come you have so many dana 27 axles?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

*notes mobile homes in background* /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    *notes mobile homes in background* /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's kinda a funny place. My friend's garage is on the right, and he lives in the apartment building that is in front of that mobile home. So there is actually a trailer behind an apartment building that people live in. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That trailer on the left, I don't think anyone lives in, it's just there.

14. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Between my brother and I, we have 8 Scouts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Between my brother and I, we have 8 Scouts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif