Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thinning paint for spraying

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Apr 29, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I need to know how you guys determine if the paint is thinned sufficiantly to spray. I am doing my engine compartment and frame rails with rustoleum oil based paint and want to spray it on, but I have NO clue how much to thin this stuff, and the can only says do not thin more than 5% for brushing or rolling but thin more if spraying. WTF!!! I will be using a cheapo low pressure gun from Harbor freight if it matters.

2. xCLIFxCATx

xCLIFxCATx Registered Member

yah im going to be doing the same thing sometime soon and im not sure what to do eaither i was thinking just take some thinner and spray

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if spraying start with 10% then thin as needed to get it to spray properly.wll probly have to mess with the mix ratio to get it to what you want.i wouldnt go more than 20%

4. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

with rustoleum I use mineral spirits to thin it out.... What kind of gun you going to use to spray it with??? (i.e. HVLP, siphon feed)

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As stated, most sprayed paints will be in the 10 to 25% range...

Best way is to do a poorman's viscosity test.. depending on what needle and cap your gun is using, 80, 30, etc, you usually want a stop drip count of between 5 and 7 seconds..

what that means is, take your base paint, add thinner, mix it with a wooden paint stick, pull the stick out and count. When it basically stops dripping, stop counting.. Thick is a 9 or 10 count, about as thick as you'd wanna spray with usually, unless its a specialty needle and cap... A 6, 7 count is more user friendly... add more reducer as needed...