Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this a desent air compressor

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 84CUCV, Nov 21, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

First post here. Found a guy selling is house and cleaning out his shop that is packed. hes got some good stuff there. Anyway, would this be a good compressor to start out with. he want 400 for it. thx

DSC02588.JPG

DSC02589.JPG

DSC02590.JPG

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Got any info on it?
    HP
    Voltage
    single or triple phase
    CFM
    gallons
    industrial / continuous duty
    Quincy is a good brand, but will need a little more info. to determine if it's worth $400.

Eric.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If you can wire it, yes, get it.
    Quincy's are good compressors.

On second thought, it looks like it needs some work.
    A few things are not connected to the other thingies.

4. 84CUCV

well, i know its a 60 gallons, 3 phase, industrial i will find out the rest not sure on the power of the motor.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Is this going in a shop in an idustrial space? Better make sure your home is set up with triple phase if it's going in your garage. Most homes are 220, single phase.

Eric M.

6. 84CUCV

going into a shop my father is building. will have 1 and 3 phase

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Want another one?...

I have a "Champion" brand monster of an air compressor I bought when I built my shop--its 3 phase though,7.5 hp,and has a horizontal 80 gal.tank..has dual stage intercooled pump,2 cylinder,it'll put out at least 50 cfm at 175 psi--its no lightweight,it weighs in around 800 lbs roughly!..

I never used it,was going to try a Onan 2 cylinder 25 HP engine I have on it--but I never figured out how to plumb up a valve to let the pump free wheel when it reached maximum pressure,and didn't have the money for the valve--the engine seemed to labor too much too..so I put the electric motor back on it,and its been collecting dust in the garage..

I've tried selling it many times for 200 bucks,but no one who wants it has 3 phase power,and using a 3 phase converter or getting the house wired would cost more than the compressor,so I still have it!...it would be perfect for a shop,gas station,etc,that has 3 phase power available..too big for my needs in my shop--I was hoping to use it as a mobile sandblaster unit,mounted in my truck bed..

Quincy is a good brand name,I'd guess that one is worth 4 bills,IF it is in good shape and works OK..but you can buy a similar quality compressor now at Lowes or other stores for not much more,with a warranty--but "They dont make them like they used too" applies to compressors too--most of todays are die cast instead of cast iron,have no bearings on the connecting rods or an oil pump,and they dont hold up anywhere near as long as the old ones..hard to say if you'd be better off with the older one,getting parts could be a problem,but no worse than a newer "china" built unit...:crazy:

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

I agree with earlier post that Quicys are good compressors. They are older commercial compressors built for repair shops and body shops. I had a five hp model ten years ago. It droped a valve thru the first stage piston. Got a hold of the rep in the area I was living and priced the repair parts. For a new piston, rings, gaskets, and poppet valve assembly they wanted $550.00. That's for the parts only. Needless to say, I scrapped the compressor. This looks like a good deal, just make shure you check out the condition carefully.

9. 84CUCV

OK thx