Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this a good CB?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BranndonC, Jan 11, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

well at that price it bettr b good

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What do you want the radio to do for you ??? If you only want something for trails, then a El-Cheepo will work fine. If you want top preformance, look into Uniden's top of the line radios. If you want more then CB, (Join the club)alot of people (including myself) buy 10 meter radios and convert them for 11 meter.

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want more then CB, (Join the club)alot of people (including myself) buy 10 meter radios and convert them for 11 meter.

[/ QUOTE ]

$20,000 fine if you're caught...

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want more then CB, (Join the club)alot of people (including myself) buy 10 meter radios and convert them for 11 meter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a Ham, Im glad they,re not buying 11M radios and converting them to 10M. In fact, if they stay below 28.0Mhz. Im happy. Had an old CB neighbor behind me blame me cuz his modified CB stopped working after I was running 1.5Kw during a contest legally!

Hey Paul...thought you were going to take your Amateur test /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Paul...thought you were going to take your Amateur test

[/ QUOTE ] Sooner or later, haven't been messing with the radio much lately. Been more spending time and money on the K5. Now my TV just crapped out, (Spent money to fix it, worked for a whole day and a half. Now I gotta go buy a new TV, so don't have the $$$ for a radio.) You know how it go's, need that nice radio infront of me too get off my lazy-ass to study for the test. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Being a Ham, Im glad they,re not buying 11M radios and converting them to 10M.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do that too... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    his modified CB stopped working after I was running 1.5Kw during a contest legally!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a Ham, Im glad they,re not buying 11M radios and converting them to 10M.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They do that too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually converting 11m radios to 10m isn't a bad thing...when done correctly.

I used to know a fairly big group of hams that enjoyed 10m AM. They modified several of the old (good) Cobra 29LTD's and unidens to work on 10m. Legally of course. The main reason for their selection and trouble of converting them is the superior selectivity of the CB radio design. Since they only operate on such a small amount of bandwidth, the receiver can be much more sensitive without picking up as much extra noise.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to know a fairly big group of hams that enjoyed 10m AM. They modified several of the old (good) Cobra 29LTD's and unidens to work on 10m. Legally of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no trouble with that. In fact, thats probably one of the cheaper ways for 10AM. I was commenting more along the lines of the guys who modify to talk AM or SSB in the CW portions of 10 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status