Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This blows!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CasterTroy, May 7, 2006.

1. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

Actually, it doesn't

I just aquired an 83 suburban 3/4 ton last week, and today was the first day I used the a/c.

It was raining and the windows fogged up. So I switched to Defrost and high, yet felt up there and couldn't feel any cfm

This was at idle

I started rolling and by 50mph I felt about 20cfm, but still I could produce more air burping than this fan does

I've searched and mostly seen blend doors and or vacuum on the control panel as being the culprits, but even as far back as 2003, seems noone has explained how to get back in there and examine the issue to diagnose it.

How do you access the blend doors and mixing box?

2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Troy did you save those Detroit decals when you sold the Bronco!??

Welcome to the site. Those valves are in the big plastic box under the dash. Its a pain in the ass to get it out, I took all of my stuff out a while back to do some mods and install my FI harness and computer. It was not fun. You reckon you might have a vacuum leak somewhere? How about that round ball thingy on the firewall?

Clay

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check all tour vaccum lines both in the engine compartment and under the dash. Prolly have one off or broken somewhere either that or you have a bad accuator on the mixing doors. You have to spend some time on your back with a flashlight poking around to find the problem.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is a tee'd connection on 83's under the dash above the box on the passenger side . It controls the vent on passenger side , which is open for normal a/c , closed for max a/c ( normal is outside air , max is recirculate ) .

Also make sure the cables haven't come off anywhere down there .

And the most important thing , and this helped tremendously , is to split the box on the firewall , clean the evaporator , and reseal the firewall box up .

You'll get tons of airflow with a simple brushing .

5. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

actually YES.....you want em?

PERFECT!!! Just what I was looking for. Now, dumb question.....this split, is it on the dash side or the engine side (I assume engine side but wanna make sure before I go ripping stuff up)

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nah, just messin with ya!

I remember the tee'd line under there like pauly383 is talkin about, had it on my 84.

Hope it will fix it for ya.

Clay