Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THis ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, GM SLaves post got me think about weird things that have happened over time.

I remember back when we used to go muddin 3-5 times a week at this local spot. I had my 82 Jimmy(Emmett) and my friend had a 67 3/4 p/u. Both were lifted and had 35's. Everytime we would leave the wheelin place both our steering wheels were off by about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. They would be like this for about a 1/2 mile or so down the road and then slowly work there way back to normal. While both had their steering wheels off center would drive fine and not track differently.

We enevr did find out why they did this..

Anyone else ever experience this?

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Ever once in a while my 79 will be off center. I think its probably because the leaf spring doesnt go back to it's position quite right and after a little while is will sag back down.

In your case, the engine torque probably raised the driver side up while you were wheelin and let mud get in between the leafs. This wouldnt let the spring settle and would throw the steering wheel off. After driving for a while the mud would break down and fall out returning the spring hieght back to normal.

That's my theory. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would have to agree that if things were not worn or broken, it is due to a difference in the relative position of the axle to the steering arm. As you know when you get flexed it makes it tough to turn (reason for X-over steering) and the wheel tends to turn on it's own. As you are flexing the axle is moving relative to the arm and you are stretching and/or compressing leaf springs. As some people have found out, even parking weird can cause the body/chassis to lean even when brought back on to level ground initially until things "settle" back into their "nuetral" position. As stated, the springs probably maintain a slightly "off-nuetral" position immediately after wheeling until things "settle" again. I know these are highly technical terms /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, but it's the best way I can think to explain it. Again, assuming nothing is broken/worn.

4. Emmettology 101

Dang, you guys have some good theories! Better than what we came up with! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Buy a ORD Steering brace. The frame shifted. It pretty well went totaly away with the brace.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What were your thoughts?
    Grim also brings up a good point. The GM frames are pretty flexy (some would even say flimsy), anything that can stiffen or triangulate the front frame will also help keep steering and alignment from varying as much.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll second Grims post. I couldn't believe the diff it made after I put one on the '80. I put one on the '73 before I wheeled it the 1st time. I wont say all the changes are gone, but its a lot better and more consistent.

8. Emmettology 101

Hmm.. Grim makes a good post and agrument and I do believe the differences the brace makes but we've never been able ot find a crack in this frame. Not saying it couldn't use it.. Most if not all frame could benefit from it.

I honestly dont know what to think to tell ya the truth! All the above pose a good arguement. Our two trucks were the only two with the symptoms, yet we could find nothing wrong with them(the guy that had the 67 is a GM mechanic)...

One thing I was thinking was that a gear or something in the steering box was over-rotated or out of whack and as we drove and used the steering box it popped back into place. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif