Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This every happen to you speedometer issue

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Dec 13, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I fired up the Blazer today to go to work, get a mile down the road get above 35 and speedo goes nuts, turn down the stereo and you can hear it spinning, oh well it came loose I thought, then look at my thermostat and it is buried in the not good direction, Im like oh crap Im screwed, stopped all looks good engine sounds normal, get halfway to work and everything goes back to normal wtf? Anyone seen this before, gonna have to pull ye ol dash this weekend to see whats up. Its an 88 so it has a mechanical speedo

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

My '88 did the same thing right after I bought it. It has never done it again. If yours isn't doing it any more, don't mess with it.

ken

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

My speedo just started squeaking, annoying as hell when I'm on the highway. I don't know what's wrong, I'll deal with it when (and if I ever) I change my dashlights. I just turn my stereo up louder and it "goes away" [​IMG]. Never had my temp gauge go nuts though.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>

4. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

My speedometer doesn't work when it is cold. I think it just needs to be lubed. They make a speedometer oil that you can buy from a dealer. I think you have to put it in from behind the gauge, and I'm so busy fixing other stuff I don't want to pull the thing apart right now.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

5. Beast

Beast Registered Member

Did you notice any strange lights in the sky :)

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I always take the cable off at the transfercase, and "pack" the cable with grease. I use a special speedo lube grease. It will take a few miles for the grease to "work" its way up the cable. Works every time for me!