Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This forum Rocks!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krazy_Eskimo, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Krazy_Eskimo

Krazy_Eskimo Registered Member

I'm totally enthralled with this site. This place is really amazing! My first time here! You guys have alot going on.. Keep it up! I'm glad to become a member.

Anyway. I was searching the site for info for oil pumps and circulation questions.. but couldn't find any. I have a high mileage stock SB Chevy 350.. just put a new pan on it the other day on the coldest day in January! Bbbrrr!. 8 degrees with windchill...but there was no wind so i guess it was more like 20... I was told that you can benefit from installing a HIGH Volume/ LOw Pressure oil pump if you think you have some oil blow by or low oil pressure issues at certain revolutions. Whats the deal? Should I just stick with the stock pump and go with a thicker oil like Mobils racing 20W-50 oil or swap out the pump and get a lowpressure high volume or a high pressure and high volume oil pump.. what 's the best option here since I do not see me rebuilding this motor anytime soon!

thanks,

Krazy_Eskimo
    Wheeling since 1982

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Whats the oil pressure at now? -Don't trust the factory gage, it's better than nothing, but often inacurate. If the reading is low on the stock gage, check it again with a external gage. Is it still low? If I remeber right, it should have atleast 10 PSI for every 1000 R.P.M.s, don't hold me to that.

IMO. High volume/High pressure pumps are genneraly not needed. Stock pumps should be O.K..

In your case with the low-temps, I think I would go with a stock pump and good 10/30 oil. Keep the RPMs down, until it warms up.

Yikes! -20 degrees. Glad it ain't me.....

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

3. Krazy_Eskimo

Krazy_Eskimo Registered Member

Re: This forum Rocks! Re: Oil Pumps and Pressures

Thank You For replying!

The Oil Pressure Is reading 60 plus PSI with a (yes Maggie, it's a stock guage)(haven't had time to do those stinkin gauges over)

60 Psi for the first half hour, then it drops to 35 40 something at Idle...then drops even more to just 30 while highway driving(55 MPH to 65 MPH)
    This Engine has to last until I find something better, or someone who can help me retrofit an Olds 350 Rocket that my pal has sitting in his Back Yard.
    Been A Die Hard International Scout Wheeler for about 11 Years, getting to hard to find parts that aren't Gone to the "Custom Sheetmetal Graveyard" , Ya know???
    Anyway, I drive this 84 on an almost daily basis--it was my Winter Plow Vehicle for years, and now ....It's SEEN THE LIGHT, and so have I!!!!
    ColoradoK5.com is a Godsend!

Thank you for your support!
    Krazy_Eskimo

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You think we Rock now... you should see us at Moab...[​IMG] Mmkay that was bad
    Anyhoo....
    On the oil pumps most aftermarket pumps come as HV/LP(high volum/low pressure) and you have to change the springs to make it a HV/HP. I don't think changing the oil pump will give your motor new life. I think a little heavier oil will be a better bet. Just my 2 cents

<hr></blockquote> Do not write below this line

<hr></blockquote>

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: This forum Rocks! Re: Oil Pumps and Pressures

I'd hate to go against 55Willys writen rule (don't write below this line- [​IMG])
    But...
    At a colder temp, the oil pressure reading should be high. The oil is thicker, and therefore, takes more pressure to pump. The hotter it gets, the thinner the oil gets, the less PSI needed (it takes).

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good oil pressure is good oil pressure (no knocking, nothing to indicate poor oil pressure here, from what has been said). Stick with factory O for a pump and a good oil 10/30 or in cold weather, like in say 20 deg. and below without poroper warm-up time, I might go wityh a 5/30.

Stay tuned, it getts better!

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted