Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This Gunny is alright in my book:

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Jan 24, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Leading the fight is Gunnery Sgt Michael Burghardt, known as "Iron Mike" or just "Gunny". He is on his third tour in Iraq. He had become a legend in the bomb disposal world after winning the Bronze Star for disabling 64 IEDs and destroying 1,548 pieces of ordnance during his second tour. Then, on September 19, he got blown up. He had arrived at a chaotic scene after a bomb had killed four US soldiers. He chose not to wear the bulky bomb protection suit. "You can't react to any sniper fire and you get tunnel-vision," he explains. So, protected by just a helmet and standard-issue flak jacket, he began what bomb disposal officers term "the longest walk", stepping gingerly into a 5ft deep and 8ft wide crater. The earth shifted slightly and he saw a Senao base station with a wire leading from it. He cut the wire and used his 7in knife to probe the ground. "I found a piece of red detonating cord between my legs," he says. "That's when I knew I was screwed."
    Realizing he had been sucked into a trap, Sgt Burghardt, 35, yelled at everyone to stay back. At that moment, an insurgent, probably watching through binoculars, pressed a button on his mobile phone to detonate the secondary device below the sergeant's feet. "A chill went up the back of my neck and then the bomb exploded," he recalls. "As I was in the air I remember thinking, 'I don't believe they got me.' I was just ticked off they were able to do it. Then I was lying on the road, not able to feel anything from the waist down."
    His colleagues cut off his trousers to see how badly he was hurt. None could believe his legs were still there. "My dad's a Vietnam vet who's paralyzed from the waist down," says Sgt Burghardt. "I was lying there thinking I didn't want to be in a wheelchair next to my dad and for him to see me like that. They started to cut away my pants and I felt a real sharp pain and blood trickling down. Then I wiggled my toes and I thought, 'Good, I'm in business.' As a stretcher was brought over, adrenaline and anger kicked in. "I decided to walk to the helicopter. I wasn't going to let my team-mates see me being carried away on a stretcher." He stood and gave the insurgents who had blown him up a one-fingered salute. "I flipped them one. It was like, 'OK, I lost that round but I'll be back next week'."

[​IMG]

sorry if a repost, just thought that was a cool story and pic, couldn't figure out how to make it bigger though.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:bow: freakin awesome!

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Hard Corps :usaflag:

John

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

GAWD every time I read a story like that I get totally AMPED!

Awesome, totally awesome! gjk5, nice job!

Here is a little flash I made for a game I play online. Some of you may actually play it too but it came out real good and I always get compliments on it in the game. Enjoy!

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I love hearing stories like that.