Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this guy is a Fraud. Ebay rant.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc4cw, Feb 20, 2007.

1. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was watching and bidding on a dana 60 on Ebay. It's up to $800 with almost a day to go. the problem I have is that it's a private auction and the winning bidder is an ID that is less then 30 days old. Was I bidding against the owner? Private auctions suck. :mad: Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260087067268

I stopped thinking about it when it hit $500 cause it's DRW but either someone wants this bad or the seller is a fraud.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Well the buyer may be a idiot also... But I would guess the same as you suspect. The private part of the auction is definately suspiscious, as is the "I do not give or take second chance offer's", but hey, what are ya gonna do?

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think its standard eBay policy now that all auction bidders usernames are hidden but only the seller can view the names. Something about protecting the bidders. I would need to go to my account to copy & paste the quote eBay put on my 440 Dodge motor I have up for bidding.

4. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard of people doing this, creating another name to up the bid. Its crooked and I'm not sure how they can stop it.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wes is correct. E-bay has recently changed it so that you can only see winners names after the auction has ended and i think you had to have bid on it to see them as well.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think you can see the name as soon as you put a bid in. I was just bidding on an auction and I could see the name once I bid, but it hadn't ended yet.

7. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

This is ebay's new policy.
    I lost a bid today and I can't see who won the item.

"As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page."

Ebay motors isn't doing this yet.

Mike

8. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I know a little bit about this from an friend of a friend of a buddy who knows a guy we were drinkin' beer with... SO anyway. He writes software, and he writes software for Ebay. They have AMAZINGLY advance algorithms that track just this type of thing. They will track who bids on what and how often the same bidder and seller work together. They also track IP addresses and other such thing. The truth is. Ebay knows and they are doing something about it all the time.

FYI - When I was listening to this guy... I had to drink more to make it all make sense, but I got the nuts and bolts of it all.

9. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've had my share of E-bay crookedness, now I only buy stuff from CK5's classified section. Call me ignorant, but I trust the people on hear more than some yahoo with a back yard full of "one of a kind" junk and a digital camera.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The I don't offer "second chance offer" thing, is actually for the bidders benefit. People have tried to scam me on more than one occasion by sending me an email for a second chance offer. They were not the people with the auction.

Like I've said before, I make a bid of what I am willing to pay for a particular item on ebay,when I first see it. I don't wait or try to snipe it at the last second. If I get it, then I got a good deal because that was what I was willing to pay. If I don't get it, it was too expensive. Less stress.

11. gmc4cw

He's a fraud. It ended and I checked who won. the same guy who won three other things from him. He sold the same t-case at least twice that I can see. The corruption goes really deep. There is a user name with a high feedback rating that has a lot to do with this BAD seller. It looks like He sold the 60 to himself and then rearranged the photos and sold it under the other name.

This crap makes me so mad. I hate playing the sniper game. I usually do what Leper does. bid my max and never look at it again. Looks like that just doesn't work when there are A-holes out there trying to screw you out of every penny.

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Why I wait till the last three mins. NOT that I am cheap just hate grass poles.

13. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

went through the same thing this week I feel your pain.

14. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

What a dumb@ss. If you are doing something like that, dont make it obvious. Dont give yourself feedback. Idiot.

I wont lie, I did it once because I forgot to enter a reserve and was about to lose my butt on something.

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's called schill bidding... Been going on forever over there.. People think they're slick... Not nearly as effective anymore, now that they charge for each auction....

16. gmc4cw

I reported him. I sell trucks and sometimes we go to the real auctions. even there they have guys who are schill bidding. It sucks that there are so many dishonest people out there.

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup, everyone wants the deal...

I've found it's fine and dandy to watch a low bid auction, but I always figure what the most it's worth to me, and keep that number in the back of my brain... The deals are out there, just harder to find these days...

18. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I personally think you're crazy for trying to buy a '60 on ebay anyways. :lol:

TONS of sniper bids in the last hour or so, which is why bidding when you find an auction doesn't work for anything that more than one human being will ever need.

19. gmc4cw

I agree that you will never get a deal on a 60 on ebay. It's the fact that the guy is screwing people that pisses me off. He sold a 208 twice, a 205 twice, the 60 twice. and those are just the times that he left feedback for himself. He's a dumbass.

20. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status