Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This guy is making twin-stick kits for NP205s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Dec 28, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Twin-stick kit

If you scroll down a little, he has pics and this description:
    NP205 Twin Stick Shifter – This is my twin shifter kit for a NP205 transfer case. The kit is used to allow independent control of the high and low range of the front and rear axles. The shifter kit is a direct bolt on to a NP205 transfer case that is mated to an SM465 transmission and uses the original shifter mounting bolt. It may fit other combinations but I am not sure. The shift handles occupy approximately the same area as your original shifter however some floor board trimming may be required on some vehicles depending on model and lift conditions. It is very likely that your shift rails will have to be deburred to allow my shift arms to be slipped over them and pinned in place – note the picture on the right. In order to allow full functionality of the twin shifters you will have to modify the shift rail that controls the rear output shaft (the rail nearest the input shaft). The flats where the safety pins slide will have to be lengthened to allow the front axle to be shifted independent of the rear while still maintaining the safety feature to keep the transfer case from being shifted into hi range and low range at the same time.

Installation:

1) Remove the existing shifter hardware.

2) Place the actuator attachment over the appropriate shift rail as shown in the above picture on the right. Note that the shift rails may need to be filed or sanded to allow a smooth fit as the rails may have burrs on the outside diameter from years of use.

3) Align the holes and drive the roll pins in place – highlighted in the picture on the above right.

4) Attach the shift arms with your original shifter mounting bolt. Make sure the shift arm pins are in the slot in each actuator attachment – see picture below left.

In the above pictures center and right, you can see the modifications that need to be made to convert your NP-205 to Twin Stick operation. The notch in the middle of the shaft needs to be lengthened and have a gradual slope. The notch on the end needs to be lengthened and have an abrupt slope. I did not include dimensions for these modifications because it is not exact science. Be careful and patient. Plan on taking it apart and putting it back together several times. If you take too much off it can be welded up and reground.

Just thought I'd pass it on - seems like a product that's sought after but no one has made till now.
    -- Mike

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

he makes a lot of neat stuff and sometimes puts it on ebay and he is also a member of this site, but you may already know that, our members are the best /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Now all we need is somebody to come up with a good design triple stick for the doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bought my crossover hi-steer arms from him. Very happy with what I got.

5. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

He does make nice stuff....BUT I mailed him 3 times in a 2 week period trying to buy a driveline spacer from him for my rig and never as much as got a "Hi been busy will mail you soon with info" etc. I still haven't heard from him so as far as dependability I would be a little apprehensive! Though like I said his items are quality looking! Maybe he will respond to this thread with a decent explination to his unpunctual behavior! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Sandman

He works during the day and does this stuff on the side. It might have to do with that. Or maybe he took vacation for the holidays.

7. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Maybe but 3 mails with NO reply ( like I said over 2 week time frame) was a little extreme and this was a while back so the holiday benefit of a doubt was not optional. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Sandman

Huh, I dont know then. I do like my arms though.

9. Sandman

and my legs! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif