Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This guy must have had stock in Bondo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Mar 9, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

A previous owner did some repair work to just above the pass side cab corner. It was bashed in pretty well and instead of pulling it out with a slide hammer, they just caked on the bondo.
    In some places it was almost an inch thick.
    The only reason I found it was I was filling in some body molding holes (with fiberglass) and I started sanding through that mess.
    I removed as much bondo as I could and use my slide hammer and I got it fairly decent considering the damage.
    I just got done with the fiberglass mat and jelly and I need to smooth it out some, but it looks pretty good.
    I swear I could slap whoever thought that much bondo was a good idea.
    -- Mike

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

When my bro worked at one shop for a car lot they had a pick up with the top smashed in but looked fine from the inside where the head liner covered it. It would have taken too long and cost too much to fix it right so he got pissed and said fine and dumped an entire gallon of bondo on the roof and then applied the hardener and cheesed her back to life as everyone stood watching in disbelief.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

A car we once owned got a dent put into by another co-worker with my wife and her insurance paid it.
    While the car was in the shop, the owner was sanding the dented area to get it ready for prepping to pop it back out, but found bondo underneath instead.
    He ground and ground and ground, and never found the bare metal til he got about 1.5" deep.
    He told me about it and we both agreed that the cheaper and faster repair would be a new door skin. But he did not figure that for the insurance job.
    He ended up grinding everything out and pulling as much metal back out he could and then filled it with bondo.
    We got the car back and sold it immediately. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my 77 suburban is one big bondo mess... the front and rear fenders were bondoed/fiberglassed back togehter when they rusted out in some other state.... they really did a craptacular job of it too, since you can see some of the fiberglass patches, just stuck on, and painted right over. I fear ripping them appart to see if I can fix them at all... I think I'll probably grind them smooth, and layer on the priomer/paint, and keep on driving it. its just my transportation, and I don't need ot looking like something worth stealing.

the other suburban has a bad rear fender on it too... I think for that one, I'm just going to lop them off, and call it a fender and sheetmetal clearancing project or something...

-Rich