Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This heated O2 work for me?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 27, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Go down to your favorite parts store and find one you like for the same price or lower and get the lifetime warranty.

Blake

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

last I checked a heated one is about $100 at a parts store.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i picked up a heated 02 here for $45. i think it was at autozone.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have to go to advance when I head out today.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Bosch arent that great, theyll set codes, get a AC Delco one.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Our '94 Suburban takes a 3-wire. Costs $50-60, depending on where ya shop.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks guys, no idea what I looked up to think they were 100+. I need 2 3 wires for my 97(or 4 wires I can't remember) and 1 3 wire for my Suburban.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can get the GM part number, plug it into gmpartsdirect.com.

Might have a friend that can get them cheaper. If interested, PM me.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

AC Delco O2 sensors are not only made by Bosch, the majority of them say Bosch right on them.

Bosch invented the O2 sensor. I find it hard to believe that there really is something wrong with them.

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

not only what tim said but something like 90% of all vehicle leave the factory with a bosch sensor

12. dyeager535

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274389&highlight=%2Bbosch+%2Bsensor

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273196&highlight=%2Bbosch+%2Bsensor

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263558&highlight=%2Bbosch+%2Bsensor

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263519&highlight=%2Bbosch+%2Bsensor

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=233182&highlight=%2Bbosch

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258541&highlight=%2Bbosch

"Have you driven this vehicle and if so what does the
    o2 read when running at cruise speed, do you have
    cross counts.
    You can also warm the engine to oper temp bring rpm to
    2000 it still should show crosscounts if not it will
    not go into closed loop.I have had this same trouble
    with bosch sensors.I perfer to delco asf21 sensor it
    has a can over it to hold the heat in to ensure closed
    loop."

"Adding one more piece of info, I had a 95 Buick LeSabre 3800 and had to
    replace the O2 sensor... Popped in a bosch and the thing was running so bad
    it wasn't funny... Hooked up Diacom and it showed my O2 voltage at 3.3V...
    bought an O2 from the dealer and put it in and all was well, after some
    playing with the 2 of them it seems Bosch decided to ground the "sensor
    ground" wire to the shell of the sensor and it threw the PCM completely out
    to lunch... factory sensor was isolated from the shell."

(both quotes from http://diy-efi.org)

I don't expect that everyone is going to read all those, however, there is some interesting info in them, for sure. (especially the one where someone bought a Delco sensor about a month ago and it said Bosch, first reference confirming what you said about Bosch/Delco O2's Tim...maybe they just changed?)

But with all that info, regardless if Bosch created them or not, Bosch is essentially a non-profit company...dumping so much money into R&D and making such a horrific product (if the accounts above are more than just drops in the bucket) seems impossible. Especially with them being OEM in many cases.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ill be sure and tell the GM teachers and techs that here at school! Thanks for knowing everything.:D

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dorian, I have lots of theories on that.

The biggest one is that people replace oxygen sensors and just don't know what they're doing. I can count how few of people I've seen put an O2 sensor on an occilliscope with one hand....it just doesn't happen often.

I know I've heard all the horror stories too. I've heard the same stories from customers that bought other parts that fit their vehicle, only to bring them back and say, "This fits like crap" or, "This doesn't work right." The dealerships have many people brainwashed into believe they're getting a better part.

The reality is that much of what is OE on many vehicles is available at your local parts store and O2 sensors are no exception. I used to be skeptical of the Bosch O2 sensors as well, thinking that they may operate in a different range than OEM and confuse the computer since we're talking about millivolts here, and it would take little to make the difference. Sold tons of them, never had a complaint of a bad one.

Then I started my own little research project. Every time someone brought theirs in to match it up, or every time I saw an O2 sensor, I read the name right off it. The majority, regardless of what kind of vehicle they came out of, were Bosch O2 sensors. Bosch did invent the O2 sensor, and they're selling quite a few of them to OEMs around the world right now.

I would imagine the majority of problems with aftermarket O2 sensors are the wiring as well, especially the universals. Those that do not often make electrical repairs have known to do somewhat lower quality work, whether it be crimping, soldering, etc. All it takes is a slight bit of resistance there and your signal is essentially lost. I'd imagine the majority of problems with aftermarket O2s are more due to this than brand for sure.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just sharing my opinions and experience man, no need for sarcasm.

16. dyeager535

Yes, one of the posts mentions that the way the sensor "acts" is different based on part number...ahh heck, here it is:

[font=Verdana, Arial] "Not all O2 sensors are created equal. The biggest difference I have found with this particular sensor (AFS-74) is that the AFR vs output voltage is not as steep as other sensors. This allows the fueling algorithm to have better control over the actual AFR."

I totally agree on replacing parts and not knowing what the problem is. O2 sensor is one of those things you can "watch" and see what is going on if you are doing proper diagnosis. Most people won't/don't diagnose things like this.

Obviously (IMO anyways) a used, good, O2 sensor is another component that is better left in place than throwing a brand new one in just because. Whether its because it's unnecessary cost, the chance of it not correcting the problem is high, and the chance that a brand new one will be bad out of the box.
    [/font]

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally believe this too. They want you to believe it's a wearable part, but all four of the O2 sensors in my daily driver have been going strong for 113,000 miles now and I don't intend on changing any of them while it still gets 21 MPG.

I bet there are Bosch O2 sensors in my Ford though. :grin: