Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This hobby is getting too expensive!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72THING, Sep 21, 2002.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I crawled up under my truck tonight after 4 wheeling and found my pass. side header was cracked near the collector (cheap-ass Flowtechs), my tranny to t-case adapter is cracked AGAIN, my pass. side head gasket is oozing out something (it looks like oil), my intake manifold gaskets are leaking out oil at the ends, and there is some kind of funny noise coming from the bellhousing/tranny area. I also noticed that my front driveshaft has about 2" of side-to-side play at the slip yoke and it's too short. So I think it bottomed out and cracked my adapter. Also, my rear-main seal is leaking pretty bad. Its amazing how little things add up and how problems always seem to come in bunches. I don't think I have the money to continue to support this hobby. It's just getting too expensive!

Hi-angle CV, long slip front driveshaft $450
    T-case adapter, used $65
    Head gaskets $60
    Intake gaskets $25
    Rear main seal $15
    Headers (high quality ones) $250

Will

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, if ya just want to give the truck away becouse it's getting to expencive, I'd take it.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HEHEHE! Welcome to 4wheeling! Its what we all have to deal w/ really, and when things arent broke we upgrade and find another way to spend money. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

72thing, those last two sentences sound like a man in serious denial.
    Here's my suggestion: Go out and buy yourself a brand new performance 454, or maybe a Boyce Dana 60. That way, whatever fix/upgrade is needed next won't seem like a lot of money - at least in comparison. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    and when things arent broke we upgrade and find another way to spend money.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true. Never done.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

What the hell, does it still run? The leaky header will mask all the noise from all the other problems. To save money, just run it till it falls off and you really have to fix it. But make sure your membeship to AAA is good... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Money is transient at best. I took a two year hiatus from wheeling and concentrated on my 401k and planning my retirement. If I had spent $20,000 on my truck I would have cut my losses in half. In the end, no one gets to take it with them and a big estate will destroy your family. You're better off with the baddest truck in the trailer park and no money for your spouse to figure into minimum monthly payments on furniture to get cussed out for getting grease on.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

In the end, no one gets to take it with them and a big estate will destroy your family. You're better off with the baddest truck in the trailer park and no money for your spouse to figure into minimum monthly payments on furniture to get cussed out for getting grease on.

[/ QUOTE ] LMAO! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

can i get an AMEN with that brother /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Its amazing how little things add up and how problems always seem to come in bunches. I don't think I have the money to continue to support this hobby. It's just getting too expensive!

[/ QUOTE ] First of all you are getting hosed on parts prices, Second of all, sounds like you need your engine put together right if it is leaking outta every orrofice. My rig has seen alOOOOOTTTT of wheelin in the last year and a half since i put the motor in and it has seen Naches 2 X this summer alone, and swamped ( sunk ) 2X and still have no leaks. go get you as complete gasket kit and fix her right /forums/images/icons/wink.gif life will be less stressfull. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I always over-estimate prices because of tax, shipping, etc. I do all my own work, so that's why everything leaks. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I'm not gonna get rid of my truck or stop wheeling, I was just ranting.

Will