Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this i really far fetched i know.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jrogers, Oct 1, 2000.

1. jrogers

jrogers Registered Member

i am a 17 year old high school student and my dad and i are looking for a nice project to do together. a 1972 k5 comes to mind. i know that i would like to convert to power steering, power 4 wheel disc brakes, a crate 350 with flowmasters, have mud terrains in the range of 33 or 35 with the apropriate lift, overhaul the interior, and get a paint job. I DONT EVEN HAVE THE TRUCK YET!

now here is the extreamly questionable part. with modification, is there any newish dash that can replace the stock dash in a 72? my mom is a stickler for safety and doesnt like me not having an airbag, is it at all possible to add airbag sensors, compressor and the actual airbag? i know that sounds almost impossible, but its worth a shot

also i live in Charleston, SC where air cond. is a must. guessing that the k5 i get doesnt have air/heat, what kits are available and how much would this cost?

thanks,
    Jonathan Rogers
    otts1083@home.com

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Good luck on your project.. As for safety concerning air bags, I haven't heard of anyone making them for older trucks.
    So getting back to safety.. I speak from personal experience.. My 89 Jimmy full size (don't have it anymore, wish I did) Now that was a safe truck.. On Xmas eve a few years back.. I decided to head to the Mall.. it was snowing (i lived in New Jersey then) the roads were icy. I get to the mall and I had this Camaro drive literally underneath the right rear of my truck. No real damage done to mine except for a bent 1/4 panel and a few scratches on the bumper. After that happened, I just knew my truck was safe.. You just feel safe due to the size.
    Now people will take into consideration the size of your truck.. and they'll give you some space. Just drive smart.. don't be a showoff, treat your truck right and everything will be fine.
    Good luck.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

if she wants safe put a roll cage and 5 point harnes in it

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Air Bags? We don't need no stinkin' air bags!

[​IMG] YEEEE HAWWW!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. jrogers

ha, try telling my mom that we dont need no stinkin airbags. my dad and i understand that with the height of a k5 and with a roll cage and harness i would be safe, but im not sure the women folk agree. with necesity aside, is it possible????

anyone know about the AC cost i asked about?!?!?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe this is a bit of a reach but could'nt you install a steering wheel/column from an airbag equipped truck? Anybody on this list know what kind of sensors are involved with air bags? Are they all in the column?
    If any of this was possible you would at least have a drivers side airbag, prolly enough to keep Mom happy, and you would'nt need to touch the dash.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. jrogers

the sensors on my 2000 s10 are about a foot behiend the front bumper mounted to the frame, there are 2 of them.
    i would probably still mess with the dash to get it all to match up.

8. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

My dad is a program manager for a government contracter and he used to be over their airbag division. He said it is possible, like trustyk5 said, Install the steering column, then you have to run some kind of microcomputer (like an ecu) that operates the airbag and keeps it in sink with the operation of the vehicle. Then you would have to put impact sensors in your bumber (or doors with side airbags)He said it would be VERY expensive. You know in this country our government only allows the richer folks to be safe.(lol) He said he thinks their is a company that makes kits to do this but you could probly buy one off the blackmarket cheaper (lol) Used columns with airbags and trying to peice one together he did not recomend. He said go with the rollbar and harness. Weve rolled one before and walked away. Airbags dont help in a rollover and 9 times out of ten your bigger then what you would hit. Anyway enough from me. Thats just my opinion (and my dads) I could be wrong.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Tell your mom if she's seen any Formula-1s, Nascars or monster trucks with airbags, and yet they're safer than most of us on our daily drivers. It's all about driving safely and pay attention to the road (no smoking, cell-phones, eating). As the other guys said, a rollbar and 5-point harness is plenty of protection. Remember, it's a truck, not a race-car, so you shouldn't be speeding to the point that not having an airbag would injure you.

Good luck.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Point out that HUMVEE's, which is what most people would think of as the biggest, safest things on the road, don't have airbags. I'm talking of my Marine Corps HUMVEE's, not those yuppified civilian ones. I actually would take a metal seat, holes in floorboards, heater never works, dull drab metal wheels USMC HUMVEE to a civilian one any day. It's like the ultimate beater! Sorry, think the Nyquil is screwing with me tonight........

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

How about wearing a helmet all the time!! Hey mom, A well built cage will do much better then an air bag, I think if you add one to an older rig that it will give you a false sense of security. Put the money and enginuity into some seriouse safety issues. You could always where knee and elbow pads. I think I know someone who has some bullet proof vests for sale!!!!How about pillows all around the intereior, yah, PILLOWS. [​IMG] I am just giving you a hard time. Good luck. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I will chime in and agree with the fact that you are safer with a good roll cage and 5 point harness. For an added degree of safety, design good padded head rests into your cage. Then remind your mom that air bags have killed A LOT of people.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Just get a steering whel from a newer truck that has an airbag in it. ...Yeah Mom, its got an airbag... Seriously you dont need one. My neighbor flipped his going 70 when some lady cut him off and he scratched his knee. The K5 was totaled though[​IMG]

90K5

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you get a 72K5 it is avaliable with power steering front disk and AC, so all you have left is the suspension work rollcage and modern seat belts. Tell you mother that an air bag is for smaller/newer type vehicles that are designed to crush from the front and rear. Installing an air bag on a first gen K5 is NOT an option. THink of it this way, if you do put a newr colum in with an air bag were you gonna put the sensors to trip it?? if you put them behind the bumper then the first thing you bump into your gonna get a bag EXPLODING in your face[​IMG]!! So now your thinking of moving the sensors further back, hmmmm American made steel, will it crunch that far?? I don't know. I say ta hell with that stupid air bag jazz!! A friend of mine still has scars on her face because of an airbag EXPLODING and burning/cutting her face!! I think they suck for our fullsize rigs that sould never go faster than 65 anyway..
    Sorry for the babbling, too much coffe on this Monday mornig![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The cheap way to put in an airbag is to get the ECU, column and sensors from a donor truck, maybe a late model Tahoe. The trouble is finding one that is totaled enough to be in the junk yard that did not already deploy it's airbag. Yes, you can get a new bag, pyro and sensor, but that puts you back into the big money department. The harnesses would be the most difficult thing, since they will be very hard to get out and they are attached to lots of other stuff that you don't need.

Mounting the sensor is a very important consideration, because it will greatly affect the point at which the bag will trigger. Generally, it is all tuned by the engineers to the particular vehicle that it will go in. This is part of why I suggest a donor truck that is similar in size and weight to yours. The sensor is like an accelerometer so it blows the bag when you are experiencing a certain g-force in a collision.

Working with SRS setups is very tricky because unplugging or plugging things in even in the wrong order (not to mention making wiring errors) will blow the bag and you'll be out a bunch of money again. Plus, you will never really know that the system is working properly in your vehicle until you get in an accident. If one of a dozen things wasn't right, the airbag won't blow and all of your work will be wasted.

It would be cool to have a late model column, regardless of whether or not the SRS works, but you also have to consider all of the wiring for the turn signals, horn or anything else that the '72 has on the column. Anything that already has a control on the dash can be left as a dummy switch on the column. The connectors are not the same, so every wire will have to be cut and spliced correctly just to make the truck work. Some of the new columns also have the security key with the little resistor in it, so you would have to defeat that security feature somehow. This may not be a problem, since that security feature only affects the PCM, I think, and you won't be using that in a '72.

All in all it's a ton of work and you don't really know that it works unless you want to test it by running the truck into some things. If you want to make a K-5 "safe", an airbag is probably not the first thing that you would want to look at.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

16. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Couple things first of all, after spending the last couple years around body shops and wrecked cars I know that installing an airbag would not be worth the investment. Each airbag alone will cost you $500, easily. Then you have to buy the sensor, the computer, wiring harnesses, etc. Then several thousand dollars later, you have to worry about positioning the sensors properly so the system works. This whole idea is NOT feasible at all. There's too many expesive components that are enginereed to work in harmony in only ONE particular setting. It can be done, but would require tons of cash, lots of time, and lots of experience in fabrication.
    Secondly, my mom was in an accident a couple years ago and the air bag did more damage to her than the impact. I know airbags do save lives in certain situations, but I've heard first hand experiences were aribags injure drivers. As a result of the accident my mom required operations on both of her eyes and some serious dental work.
    I agree with the points of some of the other replys about safety, why can't your dad convince your mom that airbags are not the end all, be all whe it comes to safety. There are other circumstances involved and other options. Besides, you can't live in a completely 100% safe world, if that's your objective you might as well be dead. There's risk in EVERYTHING.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

17. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Hey, another thing a couple years ago I saw a "tuff truck competition" during intermission at a monstor truck competiton and this guy went out there with a lifted explorer, and sure enough he came down hard enough on one of the jumps and the airbag went off, the whole stadium was laughing so hard.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

18. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Well this is what you do. You buy the Blazer now, and start working on it, and when you become of legal age in your state, and you move out of home, you can drive it with no airbag. You won't have to listen to mom. LOL, I think that airbags do save lives, however, doing an installation and or fabrication on a Blazer would be overkill. Why don't you just save all of the effort and put it into buying a newer 4wd truck?? Just my .02 worth. - Steve</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Fyi, I am only teasing you!!</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really don't think it would be wise to try to adapt an airbag system into an older vehicle. Car manufacturers spend lots and lots of time designing airbag systems in new cars and fine-tuning them to that specific vehicle. A lot of this time is used for numerous tests, including crash tests, which I don't think are an option in your case.

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: this i really far fetched i know...Grim\'s Rant

Why ruin a good thing? Air bags are for stupid people that don't wear seat belts. And when people who do wear seat belts have them death bags go off in their face they usualy have 2rd and 3rd degree burns on there arms and sometimes face and often broken wrists, fingers, thumbs and arms. Tell her NADER lied and is an idiot. Tell her to contact the loved ones of all shorter people who have been killed by Death bags because the bag hit them with such force it has torn their heart and lungs loose. Get a good roll cage and 4 or 5 point harness and your far safer than an air bag.
    Have your mom watch stock car racing on sunday one day and watch a car crash at 200mph and the drive walks away because they were wearing 5 point harness and had a good roll cage, they don't have air bags. Lady Di is dead because she didn't wear her seat belt. The only person to survive that wreck had on a seat belt and that car had front air bags and the driver was still killed. More than likly the head trama that the survior recived was from lady Di bouncing off of the back of him.
    Some real stats. Most air bags in cars made before 96 were designed for an unbelted person 5ft 8 in or taller weighing 165lb or more. On people of that size belted in it only increases the survivabilty about 4%. On people under 5ft 5 in it increases the liklyhood of serious injury or death 6%. Those stats were from Car and Driver. I have read lots on this because my wife is 5ft 2in 90lb. I will NOT have working air bags in any car my wife drives that I can afford, meaning I can't afford a 2-3 year old Volvo, Benz, Sabb, BMW with the second and 3rd gen bags. Those are the safest brands on the market and I don't have $50k to spend on a car and I doubt your folks will spend it on a car for you.
    Not much safer than a 5500lb truck with a roll cage. Tell your mom we are all going to die one day and getting an alcer from worring about it takes the fun out of life not to mention worring does lead to an early death in it's self. She's been tramatizd by all these kids getting killed and hay I'm a dad and understand her concern but the reason most of them kids get killed is poor judgment and driving skills. Ten it is over sensationalized in the media in the attempt to gain rating. Most of them kids were in fast cars unbelted with no respect for Phyisics, life, and the life of others. The car didn't kill them they killed themselves! Thats why people in your age group are the highest risk of accidents. Sorry it's the truth. The only group that is anywhere as bad is old people. The Parents are as much to blame by buying fast cars for young drivers. At least your mom has that concern (all though it's a bit over the top) but you desire to have a truck verses say a Z28 is already a good thing as long as you respect that you can't toss a truck around at speed because the have a high center of gravity and take far longer to stop than a car.
    The best thing she can do is make sure you can drive. Drivers ed in school is a crock. See if she will send you to a real driving school at a race track. You will get more respect for what a car is capable of and what you, as a driver is capable of and learn more about accident avoidence then you will ever get out of drivers ed. That is going to increase your survivability far more than the 6% the air bag is going to.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/