Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is a bunch of crap.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 19, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I was coming back from a camping trip today and I was driving my Blazer because I had to leave late. Anyway, I was following this guy home and he was in an F-150. Going down the highway in Dallas. The speed limit was 60, and we were going about 5-10 over. The car in front ot the Ford saw a cop and slowed down and he slowed down, and then I saw the cop and slowed down. I looked at my speedo first and it said about 67, which is more like 72. I slowed down to about 60 on the speedo, so really about 65, which is what everyone else did. He pulls me over for 81. I told him I had to follow the guy in front of me, because I didn't know how to get home. I asked to see the radar, but I don't think he heard me, or else he didn't want to. Either way, this is BS. the guy in front of me is going to court with me and will back me up that I wasn't going 81. Anything else I can do?

90K5

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

That sucks!

Was down in Mexico 15 years ago and on a road doing the speed limit ... the only car as others were flying by me. Anyway the truck was loaded with play toys ... surfboards and windsurfers. Must have been a site top see. Got pulled over ... the deal is they take yur lisence, make you drive back to Tihuana, then come back to get your lisence. Good thing bribery is still running rampant there. $20.00 and I was on my way.

As far as your deal ... he perhaps had the first car on radar, but was unsure who was the culprit. The judge will probably tell your buddy that if you were still speeding, even if it was under 81mph, he was speeding too and really should keep quiet. The judge will redice the speed a bit ... but will still get a fine and points on your record.

Sorry man ... I feel for you!

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

ok here's the deal,,, i was pulled over before and the officer said i was going 78 in a 45...BULL!!! i was speeding ,,however i was not going that fast and i told him that i would not do that because it would add points to my license,,,he immediately ripped up the ticket and wrote me SEVERAL others for sppeding and wreckless driving and drag racing....i got myself a good lawyer ($500 worth,,more than the fine itself!!!),...i took pictures of the road sign's, the road,the weather that day,,,even measured how high the road sign's were off the ground!!! when i showed up at court the officer told me i should've just taken the ticket and pleaded guilty,,,then my lawyer showed up and said that if the officer had any comments towards me he'll have to talk to him!!! the officers attitude changed VERY FAST!!! he started to offer different pleas and citations!!!i got off pleading guilty to speeding at 50 mph. in a 45 mph. zone...this was a smaller fine and there were no points added to my license and that's the main thing you have to look for!!! just get a real good lawyer( ask someone who drives a tractort trailer who their lawyer is!!) and offer to pay any fine no matter how high it is,,you can even make payments on it,,but make sure you don't get any points added to your license,,,that's the main thing!!!!!!
    good luck!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

As I see it this looks like it could be plead down to an equipment (speedometer) violation. I don't know about Texas motor vehicle statutes, but here in Wisconsin equipment violations are NO point violations.....Good luck

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I was thinking it would be my speedo, but the Ford in front of me said the same thing, so mine is just about 5 mph ahead around 65-70. We don't have points in Texas, but you can lose your license if you f*** up too many times. I'm not letting this go on my record because I have no money for this kind of sh*t. This is a $250 ticket if I have to pay it, plus court fee, plus $64 for something else, plus what insurance goes up if i don't take defensive driving, which I will. I'm tired of getting crap becuase of my truck. I got another BS ticket this year in March when my dad was following me, we were doing about 60 in a 55, and they give me a ticket for 79 up a HUGE hill that I would never be able to make it up going that fast, but that ticket didn't go on my record, because I sent the ticket to them in the mail, they sent me a court date, and I couldn't go, so I sent for a new one and never got one.[​IMG] Maybe somethings wrong with my speedo...

90K5

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Yo Scavanger,

Where in Wisconsin are you from ? </font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

<font color=blue>" Deep ?........Is doesn't look that deep. "</font color=blue>

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Yes I agree. tonight I got a ticket also. 87 in a 65. But i was guilty. I was in the Maxima and had the cruise control on.

79 Blazer 6"lift 35's locked/4:56 http://www.keith.coloradok5.com

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

when you get pulled over, stay cool. do not antagonize the cop. admit to speeding, but explain why, like following your buddy, not knowing how to get home; just got big tires, didn't know the speedo was off, duh.
    if that doesn't work, shut up and take the ticket. if you make a scene, the cop will write down details, and use them in court later. if you just accept the ticket, he will appreciate your attitude, and won't be as likely to remember this particular ticket in three or four months, when you finally go to court.
    i heard of a way to keep points off your record, but i'm not about to post it on the net. just in case somebody's big brother is watching us....

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

9. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

Mexico has a great system for traffic violations. Just say "is there anyway I can pay for this here?" and the cop will let you go for 10-20 bucks. Whatever you do, dont be an idiot and start arguing - you dont want to go to jail there.

10. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Go to court, demand that his radar equipment be checked for calibration and provide the court with the findings, usually at that point they will drop the charges on a speeding ticket cause it is too much of a hassle to get a radar gun tested and calibrated, worked for me...

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Be careful if you attempt to solve your situation there with "several" cops at once. They'll ask you for $20 EACH, plus an additional fee for the "boss".

Many people travel to the US from my country to buy cars and stuff and sometimes they'll lose half of their money and stuff when traveling through Mexico in "control posts" every 50 miles or so. They'll tell you you have a problem with your papers and will want to take your license and vehicle or give them a big juicy bribe.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My plan was to see when the gun was last tested and make as much paperwork as you can for them so they might throw it out. I know some people that actually try to argue with the cop, and they get a ticket every time. I say "sir" every time I say anything, and respect them, and that has usually worked, obviously if I'm going that fast its hard to get out of. I know one girl who has been pulled over 11 times and never gotten a ticket because she's really hot, even though one time she was going 58 in a 30...

90K5

13. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Riz,

That would be Beloit, right on the WI/IL border. How about you? Send private mail if you wish.

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yessir, Mexico's cops and even the Federalies (is that how you spell it) are easy to bribe - US Dinero goes a long way.
    Without going into the lurid details of my stupidites, I can say that it is beneficial to keep a few extra twenty's hidden just in case. Sure beats going to jail.
    -- Mike
    -- Mike

15. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

I once FLEW by a cop doing around 125-130+ (in a 55 no less) in the left lane at around midnight. I saw him behind the overpass pillar as I went by and just released the gas, coasting down to the speed limit KNOWING I was going to jail. Just as I pulled even with the car ahead of me, he screamed up and PULLED THE OTHER GUY OVER. Being the good, kind person I am, I nailed it to the next exit and offloaded for some gas, bathroom break and food. After all, I wasn't speeding because I was in a hurry, I was BORED. I believe he was asleep when the radar gun screamed bloody murder and woke him up. Funny he pulled the dude in the right lane over, though, eh? :)

This does tell you something about cops, who are just people doing a boring job.

One mod to Delta88's post - NEVER, EVER admit to speeding. He writes that down & you can give up going to court. What are going to tell the judge? I lied to the cop so he wouldn't take notes? It's honest, but apparently you're not. Guilty, case over.

And for the next time you get pulled over, looking at his gun proves nothing. How do you know he didn't drive by a billboard at 81, pop it, then wait for a sucker? So don't ask, it's irrelevant. Smart cops will vary the speed for each speeder. I've never met any dumb cops (be nice here, my brother is a cop). I've been nailed while the officer was illegally parked and still had to pay. For some reason, they don't park there anymore, though...

Rule #1. Say what you mean to and SHUT UP. Talking too much will kill you. I once got popped for running a yellow light (no, Oregon doesn't let you do that). Just as I was out of it I relaxed (oops) and finished by explaining that the light was yellow while I was in the intersection. Judge looked up in surprise, shook his head and pronounced me stupid, pay $170.

Rule #2: Go up to the nice clerk (hopefully the clerk is not related to the judge) and chat with them about the judge. Is the judge fair? Any hot buttons? I was in court with a really mean judge once. When I came out to pay and mentioned how "strict" he was, the clerk strongly agreed that he was an a**. Then informed me that she could have reduced the fine by half if I would have asked. DOI!

Your case is simple. You were not doing 81 or more. Period. Were you speeding? That's not the point, and hope the judge doesn't ask. If the judge DOES ask, be sure to frame it properly, but truthfully. "We were not driving more than 5mph over than the speed limit in the officer's vicinity, nor in other areas." Don't mention which other areas if you can help it 'cause your case will go downhill quickly. And for God's sake, reword it to some wording you will always use. If it sounds fancy but you don't, he'll dig deeper.

They watch your body english, they see you looking up to the left as you try to come up with some excuse. Look him in the eye politely but firmly and explain your case. Don't be nervous.

Your friend should say the same thing in his own words.

Unless your goal is to reduce the fine, not get out of it (not a bad goal, esp when you're that high over). Then just tell the judge the officer was wrong, you were doing X, here's your witness and you're willing to take the rap for it, you don't know how the officer got 81. If he believes you, he may even let you off & keep the officer behind for a stern lecturing. After all, he wants to trust the officer and needs to.

DO NOT attempt to use words you're not familiar with. Be normal (as long as normal's not some version of a deranged axe murder or anything). Speak normally with your usual vocabulary. The judge doesn't care if you graduated from Harvard. He/She just cares that you may have been speeding. A Phd won't save you here.

Was there something between you and the officer that would have impacted his readings (speed limit sign, trees, shrubs, something that may have reflected and caught traffic going the other way, thereby confusing the radar gun). It WAS radar, right? LASER works differently.

Before you go to court - did the officer take notes?

If not, you may want to bring up that the officer denied your request to look at the radar gun. When the officer states that you didn't ask, you have a case where the officer may not be entirely sure what happened that day. Unless the officer states that he did not because he felt it was unsafe or was ignoring you because you were spitting mad. Tough call.

Ask the officer what kind of day it was (he'll know), what traffic was like (light/heavy/spacing between vehicles), what kinds of vehicles were around you (semi's, cars, etc.). Please note that a new style radar gun WILL differentiate between an econobox and a Semi and will single out the FASTEST vehicle. Then the officer looks for the car that's the fastest & pulls it over. Think about how you would do this (I would watch traffic, find the fast guy, point the gun and go pull him over). Maybe the officer does it another way (point the gun at traffic, get a book/do paperwork, look up when he gets a signal, read the #, then look for the perp - oh, and you were the fastest when he finally looked up at traffic!)

Ask the officer how his gun works, if it does the above. Was some hotrod zooming along ahead or behind you he didn't see? Perhaps he fit scenario #2 above and the perp slowed down leaving you as patsy. Can you and your friend testify that a white BMW M3 was hauling a** (that would be me) in front of you and slowed down dramatically seconds before you flew by the officer entrusted to keeping people like that off the road to protect people like you?

Your goal is to make it less than clear cut that YOU were speeding. You are innocent until proven guilty, but the court doesn't work that way. The nice officer sees that judge at least twice a month in court so he has a huge advantage. The judge trusts him and not you. The officer says you were speeding. Everyone says they weren't. Why should the judge believe you vs everyone else that comes in?

I've gotten out of some and gotten stuck with others. Good luck!

Eric D
    88 K30

PS: Trying to postpone the court date doesn't seem to work unless you're talking 6 months.

16. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I don't know about TX but where I work we don't usually show up at court for traffic infractions (save DWI where property damage or injury occured). We don't get paid to show up for traffic court. Usually you just see the prosecutor. If you can spare the time off from work and really feel you're in the right, plead not guilty and go to court. It may get thrown out, reduced or they may ask you to make a donation to a charity. On the other hand, if you are in the wrong pay the fine before the answer date and you won't get any points on your license (at least in CT). I agree, do not argue with the officer. Especially (What's the problem? Why are you stopping me?) Chances are you know why you're being stopped and the officer knows you know, so don't piss him off. Especially on the blatant infractions, running red lights and stop signs. If you're from out of town this sometimes will help ie: not familiar with area. Hope this helps.

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You may want to ask about other things, about the cops "quota" (we all know it exists, but they won't admit to it) how many tickets he wrote in the past months, are they compensated for writing tickets, or a certain number of tickets....

Also doing 81 in a K5 is rather painful in my opinion. :)

You might also want to ask the exact location of the cop. Depending on the location, it is possible that the radar bounced off the wrong object, and therefore he thought it was your car. For them to Hit you with a radar and count, they must be able to "positively" identify the vehicle they are hitting.

Now, there is another method; ask for his qualifying record (i.e. shooting record). This may be difficult to argue, and you will probably be asked for relevance for this question. Basically, a radar gun is a "Projectile device", just like a pistol is. All Law enforcement personnels are required to pass this qualifier. For example, in NY state, it is 50 Yards, at some % accuracy. For FBI, it is 100 Yards, same as the NRA trials.

I don't know what is is in Texas, but, most likely, the cop was further from you than 50 yards. Unless this cop was a marksman, he probably only has a 20% shot rate at 100 yards. You can argue that it was NOT your car that was hit.

You can also remark that the cop refused to let you see the radar (they acutally don't have to, because a cop car is considered their sanctuary, and by letting you in, is a violation of some statue somewhere). You may also want to remember if there were on comming traffic. It is possible that he hit an on comming traffic.

Also, about the gun itself;

there are several methods of calibration, but only the FACTORY can CALIBRATE the gun. Nobody else can.

Guns can only be serviced by trained factory personnel. No, a police deparment personnel cannot do this. Ask for this service interval and records of this.

The officer must be trained on that specific gun. Ask for his certification.

The Gun must be Federally approved for Traffic control. Ther is a list. Unless the model matches the list, it is disqualified.

Claime UCC 1-207, Uniform Commercial Code 1-207, declairing an injured party to be produced.

18. 88glassbed

88glassbed Registered Member

Just go to the court date, even if unprepared, often times they don't show and it will get thrown out. If you are prepared to challenge the gun reading, all the better; that's a good angle. Contrary to popular belief, the do not have to show you the radar reading, (at least not in CA). Good luck, and be cordial to the judge, at the very least you can get the fine reduced.

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got my court date today, May 15, and they spelled my last name wrong. Will this help at all?

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

20. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

No.