Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is a dumb question, but I don't know what to do.....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Jul 16, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

This is a dumb question, but I don\'t know what to do.....

I was told at first I can wire wheel the heads and the little marks it puts in would not matter. Now I am being told I can't. Something to do with how it would seal with the new gasket. I am confused???? Is this the right way or not?? I am thinking more and more i should have just paid 500 and let the shop do it. Well, thanks for the help

Mike

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Re: This is a dumb question, but I don\'t know what to do.....

Are you trying to clean the mating surface or decarbon the combustion chamber? Depending on the stiffness of the wire, it shouldn't damage the chambers (keep the valves in to protect the seats). For the deck surface use the Rolock type wheel/arbor in a drill or angle grinder. The Rolock wheel come in different grades; iron is pretty resilent.

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

3m makes a special dressing wheel for the deck that doesnt harm the surface. you should be able to get them at napa or other full service autoparts store. By doing it yourself at least you know its being done correctly, most shops cut corners. No one cares more about your truck than you do.
    rugger

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I used a wire wheel on mine. Makes getting the old gasket alot easier to get off.

5. 84CUCV

Thanks for your help Mike

6. 84CUCV

decarbon the combustion chamber Is this a good thing to do?The truck has very low miles on it.

Later Mike

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

It will not harm it if you go in a direction that the gasket goes and you use a soft enough bristle wire brush. A brass wire brush is okay usually. If you are making any deep scratches you are not doing it right. Check on a place where the cylinder is not an issue, like a water jacket toward the outside of the head away from the combustion chamber. If it is okay there run with it.

John

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Do you have a compressor and a die grinder? If so, look into a serface conditioning kit! It's a rubber pad that has a spindle on it, this gets tightened into your die grinder! Than you take these brillo pads with a plastic srew in the middle and they screw into the the pad! It creates a buffing serface and it's what all the mech shops use! I bought one a long time ago and it's the best tool in my garage! IT cleans every gasket service to a new state! I don't even have to use silicone anymore!!!!! I put my gaskets on dry and they seals like nothing you've ever seen!!!!! The fine ones are for aluminum and the course ones use on steel or cast!! Don't MIX!!!! You will tear up aluminum with the course!!! Not saying with respect to heads, cause they're cast obviously, but for future note!!!

If you don't have a compressor! I'd use a fine grit flap disk sanding wheel! They go on a drill and work great!! They also make them for grinders!