Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this is a dumb question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ch3vy4x4, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ch3vy4x4

ch3vy4x4 Registered Member

im a noob but
    when i go to put my 4 in lift on my 78 that i got. will i need longer shocks? if so what will i need

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

yup, you'll need longer shocks. not sure which ones but whatever calls for your application.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yes, unless you only drive like grandma to the mall....

Just get shocks for a 4" lift unless you are planning on it being really flexy and need even longer ones.

A search will reveal several choices of shocks that will work in off brands that can be picked up cheaply at any parts store....

4. ch3vy4x4

alright, now i see u only have a 4 in lift and ur runnin 36s, people were tellin me that i wont be able to run any more then 35s on a 4 in lift witha 2 in body lift. with out rubbin

5. ch3vy4x4

well what do u suggest for some decently cheep good shocks?

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

It's all about how much you want to :hack: take a look at my pictures theres should be a link in my profile or sig.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

gabriel shocks from autozone. just tell them it's for an 4" lift.

8. ch3vy4x4

alright cool, thanks you guys are alot of help.

9. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

i have 4" and 36's no trimming at all, but it did rub a little until it bend the lips on the front fender back slightly

10. ch3vy4x4

see i think ill be fine runnin 36s expecialy witha 2 in body lift, if it rubs ill just put a 3 in body lift on it.

11. ch3vy4x4

so all i will have to do is get new shocks? will all my stearin line up and my brake lines?

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well you should get some new brake lines. did you gat an raised steering arm?

13. ch3vy4x4

where can i get break lines, im not sure if the raised steering arm is with the kit or not its at my buddys house i gotta take a look

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

you can get them from 4wheelparts of ORD or if you do a search on here for the part numbers for the one from the parts store.

15. ch3vy4x4

i searched thought there really quick but didnt see any thing ill look around when i get back from work

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I just bought some 4" lift shocks from 4wheelparts.com. They were having a sale and I got all four shocks, a steering stabilizer and five rubber boots for $142 to my door.

The local parts shops wanted about $50 each for x-long shocks.

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Noob! :grin:

Spend a little bit more time doing your research here before jumping into that lift project..... as you've already seen from the responses so far, even a 4" lift affects quite a bit of other stuff on your truck....shocks, steering, brakelines, possibly driveshafts, pinion angles & caster, etc.

It's not rocket-science, and the guys here will help you figure it all out but you really want to know EVERYTHING that you have to do before you throw that truck on jackstands and start tearing into it. Installing a complete lift kit and dealing with all the "little things" is probably a full weekend job for someone that's never done it before....and that's assuming you have all the parts you need when you start. Things like rusty bolts, dry rotted bushings and the like add time and frustration to the project too...... set a realistic amount of time aside for the installation and you'll be less stressed. Also make sure you have a friend or two around to drive you to the parts store, pizza place, and hospital if the need arises! :D

18. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

i have a 4" lift with a 3" body it rubs at full turn when hitting bump on flat ground it about a 1/4 inch away i need to trim the bottom rear corners that with my 15/35/15 tsl when i had 35/12.50/15 bfg's no rubbing

19. ch3vy4x4

ya i got plenty of time set aside cause i have a daily driver so thats not a problem, i understand what ur sayina bout find every thing out about lift kits that i should know, thats why im doin researce befor i slap it on, also a nother question, the motors not in it right now, would it be easier to put the lift on with the motor out or with it in???