Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is bugging me

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 21, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I dont even know why I'm writing this. I just cant sleep cause somethings bugging me. Two years ago I talked by friend into buying a '78 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 for $2750. It had a brand new rebuilt SB400 with less than 100 miles on it, about 4 inches of lift. A week after he got it, the motor started knocking, and the guy that sold it to him had skipped town. He had pieced the motor together, which turned out to be junk. I sold my friend a '69 350 for $300, which was a strong running motor.

Since, he has put other money into it, and painted it flat black. He had up to like $3500 into it, but it was only worth about $2000.

He's getting married in 2 weeks, and needed to get something better on mileage and stuff, and in a hurry. Monday he went to car lots...and they estimated they'd only give him $1000 for it. When he went to trade it in, they wouldnt even take it.

He ended up selling it to a guy at another car lot last night for $850. And he barely got that. It's just been bugging me since then. For one, he lost like $2650 on the thing. Second, I know it was worth $2000, or at least $1500. If only I'd have had more time...I'd have borrowed the $850 myself and bought it. It would be like buying my motor back with headers and paying $550 for a Dana 44/14 bolt, TH350 and part-time 203, plus a perfect set of cargo doors and decent fenders and seats.

If only I could go back and gotten it before he sold it to the car lot. Heck, I'd have given him $900. I cant sleep...I just keep picturing me lifting it and putting 40" tires under it with a big block.

Sorry for the pointless post. I figured if I wrote about it, I could get to sleep. Farewell to the Black Suburban.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

yeah, i feel ya. it's always a sad thing to see people (especially dealers) not appreciate these good ol' rigs for what they're worth. even if you've poured your blood, sweat, and tears into it for years, they still don't want to give you crap for it just because it's old, no matter if it has all new motor and drivetrain.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've had a few deals like that pass me by, oh dont we all kick ourselves in the arse sometimes!

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Something's been bugging me too, except I still can do something about it, but not sure.

My brother found an add for a 1983 6.2 Diesel. We checked it out. It's in fair condition, the engine is supposed to be rebuilt about a year ago (diesel rebuild = expensive), starts good in the mornings, drips oil, interior needs some help, paint could be better, but not bad, has hydroboost, frame is cracked near the steering box, has 10 bolts, a 700r4 tranny, np208, but the owner wouldn't go lower than $2,000.

I would love to have a Blazer for a daily driver. I'd just leave it stock. I already have my current Blazer with all the mods. But I also have my good ol reliable 2wd Toyota truck with a sound 22R engine that gets about 30mpg.

The idea of selling the truck and buying that Blazer keeps revolving my head. Oh, but did I tell you that we get about 30% off Diesel fuel in this country?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's what dealers do is screw people on trade ins. You are far better off selling it yourself.
    Here is an example.
    My mother buys my sister a Toyota truck from Car max with extended warranty. Sister is supose to pay her back. After tax and extended warranty my mom paid about $10,500for this truck. My sister drove it about 4,000 miles then got married and moved to Germany with her husband who is stationed there. Had the truck a total of 6 month.
    Mom takes it back to the very same Car Max she bought it from and they offered her $7,600 for it. SHe had it up forsale and finnaly sold it for $9200. That price was inline for it's age.

6. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about that man. I know that when I get married, my K5 is staying!! I'll take the bus while the K5 is down before I sell it!

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim, that's CarMin for you. They'll get you any way they can. I can't legally say anything else about them, but ask any one of my friends and you will never want to do near that place again! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I can't speek of the dealer your talking about. But why is it that someone trying to make money is "screwing" you? Ya you bought the car 6 months ago the market is forever changing, and the car has now been used more than before. If they gave market value and not "trade in" or wholesale they would not be in business at all. Which is why in those situations you are better off selling it yourself. If you have the time why would you take a hit like that? Just my opinions.