Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is for Muddysub, maybe this will help some

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by therobzilla, Jul 25, 2003.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

May 15, 2001

Man I feel for you dude, but maybe this will help.

I too live in Phx, actually in Gilbert! Man I agree, it't hotter than $hit right now, and it's hard as hell too stay cool. But try this out for size.

I am a senior manager with a company that employes about 200 employees on both the east coast and the west coast, I moved out here about 3 years ago with my family and moved them from east to west, keep in mind we lived in the east for about 9 years before the company that I initially worked for said, "Rob, we want you to move to PHX and manage our business on the west coast", and me being the upstanding company man with the company for 13 years said, "Sure, when do you want me to go", they said now, so I packed my bags and commuted from east to west weekly for 9 months, let me tell you about a 5 hour flight twice weekly, I got to know the Delta flight attendants by their first name.

...... I finally get the family and kids out west, sell the house and move the fam, and the job is nothing like it was told to me. So I quit the job and tell the old boss to take a flying #uck. No job, new house payment, twice what the old house payment was, and no money. Luckly land on my feet in about a month, with a company somewhat related to the same thing I did on the east coast. All the families are on the east coast keep in mind. They are not real happy....

Anyways back to the story... Start the new job and get things moving along ok with the new house and new schools with the kid, they are still not real happy, but getting along. The wife is going nuts, the heat will melt you and the nothing seem to be going great, but we are surviving. Then we start meeting some people and the kids are adjusting to the weather and everything is getting even better.

Hell I even get to meet some wheelers, Marv Springer, FWP, SMP, Guys at Desert Rat, and eveything is going real good now. The kids and loving the pool, new job seem to be doing real good, and the wife loves PHX. Hell I'm even wheeling alot and loving PHX.

Now here comes the part no one likes to hear. The boss call me on the phone last week and tells me things are really slowing down, and we need to make some cutbacks on our overhead and expense line on the P&L. Rob you need to layoff 6 people in your location. I say "WHAT?". He says you got until the end of next week to take care of it.

Guess what, I now have the job of deciding who to tell this Friday is not going to be employed next week.

I am going to send 2 people to the unemployment lines on friday, and yes that this Friday.

Just think, you could be in my shoes, and or could be on of the people I have to tell.

Scott, Call me, hell we get together all the time and have a hell of a time, all the wheelers of AZ in the valley are always getting together to hang out and or get together. It's like a small family, give me a call come over for dinner one night after school, we would be glad to adopt you as an extended family member. I will PM you my number.

Call me and we will get together this weekend with the gang... Once you meet everyone and hang it will get better.

Hang tough and remember it could be worse, put you self in my shoes, I am going to be up all night worring about the families of thoese I have to layoff friday...

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Jun 23, 2001
    damn man, thats terrible i wouldnt be able to do that at all. yea i kno it seems like im hating every minuite here in phx, and for the most part im not happy here so far. but it has been gettin better here lately. especially with the possibility of the suburban comin down here. thanks man.

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Jul 24, 2001
    Try being the guy/gal that has to be the one to tell another person that their son/daughter, wife/husband....etc is dead and will never be coming home. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  4. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Jan 11, 2003
    Seem like everytime I think I'm in a (bleep)hole Some thing I see makes me realize what a lucky guy I am.
    Some people aren't healthy, have no roof over their heads, and no food on their table.
    If you're just bitchin about the weather, and not having a girlfriend and only having 8 hours to sleep, then in reality my friend consider yourself LUCKY!! You aren't missing any limbs, you're young and from the looks of it, you'll have a rewarding career in notime so just ride this out and some day you'll look back and laugh at this /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Cheer up and live life while you can /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tubing time at the river Aug 2nd see ya there!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Apr 21, 2001
    i know just how you feel. i would like to say on a smaller scale considdering it was just McD's and Carls Jr. but when you are told you have to cut the summer working force down for the winter months and have to decide between person a who is hard working, never late, just got out of HS, and is an outstanding worker even though he/she has not been with the company but for a few weeks. of pick person b who has been with the company for a year plus is late now and then because s/he cant get his/her kids to do what she tells them to do. works slow, and sloppy. but had 3 kids, a rent payment, a car payment and other bills.

who do you keep? me being the heartless as$ that i am, had no choice. i would go on work ethics. the person late the most who works the lesser of the others has to go.

i have highered and fired more people than most folks out there. granted all for flipping burger jobs mostly. but it can really mess up a persons life more than it already was.

im sorry you have to make this descission rob. as the workers you are letting go prolly know how life is by now and you dont have to make the same type of decissions ike i did. people know works is a bit more needed the older they get and make less mistakes on a day to day basis.

tell ya what rob, fire me and marv. since we dont work for your company it should be easy. and ill go ahead and file for unemployment under your company... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    its a win win situation.