Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is getting expensive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CR, Sep 11, 2004.

1. CR

CR Registered Member

Building my 87 K5. You guys were right /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I now have bigger axles,tires and motor, looking into a T-case swap. I dont even want to think of the money I have invested /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I have been trying to do as much of my own work as possible to save $ , BUT I dont have a shop full of tools or a garage. What kind of money have you guys that drive your rigs everyday invested? I am not missing 10k by much from motor ,tranny, axles and tires.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My 'Burb is expensive, but my '71 Chopper works out to like $16 dollars a mile to run /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A little over $20K in my K5.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive got about $7500 in mine so far which isnt too bad. Then again im a high school senior working part time paying for insurance (at my age its quite expensive) and gas (also quite costly). So it seems like a lot to me.
    -Harrison

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I've only got 500$ into the k5 (thats how much I paid) but lots of hours working on it. very soon it will start adding up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

how much?

well on the 75 I spent enough to pay for a new truck,

on the 86 I spent the money I was going to use for a down payment on a house..

the buggy will be a sequal to the spending on the 75, but I already have alot of the goodies so I have a good start /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

on the 72 I am going to drop serious coin here and there, but I wont be able to take it off road so it "should" stay nice /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

$1000 to buy it over a year ago(alot of money at 15 with no job) about 300 in alternator and brake lines to buy and get put in i think. all for now but i still have to fix the floors, lift it, get tires and buy some spray paint /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think I have about $20k invested in mine too, a little at a time, maybe more.

My next truck I bet I can have a similar capable truck for half what I spent this time, or less.

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I dont mean to hyjaack anything but how come you have the username "k5" and only have 18 total posts. I thot that username would be the first to go. lol

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

well between all of the times that I've built different setups on the same truck /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have somewhere between 26-30K in mine... I would guess that in the parts that are still on the truck that I've got just over 20k into it. "if I had known then what I know now" I'm sure I could have had twice the truck for half the price! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

between all the stupid things i've broken, and the useless crap i bought to only take off later... I unfortunately keep a worksheet with all the expenses, and right now i'm at $26,215.85 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I'm going to go cry in a corner now.... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

somewhere between $20k and $30k... just a guess. Who knows, could be more.

j

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have about $16k in mine. That includes, 3 rear axles, 2 front axles, 2 trannies, 1 transfer case, 4 sets of tires, paint, shocks, suspension, and its still needs about 10k more to be "done" /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

WOW, seeing some crazy numbers. I have pushing close to $6k in mine. If you don't get in a hurry to build you can find deal, I did. I'll be putting in another $1200 or so for my fuel injection setup and a little more for stell to fab some stuff. Would like to add maybe a doubler in the future but that's really about it

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well on the other side of the spectrum I'm pretty sure we have less than 3 grand in Wimpy including the purchase cost. Admittedly she has the name Wimpy for a reason but she's still fun to take out.

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

$700 for truck
    $300 for motor
    $200 for trans
    $110, $45 for clocking tcase
    $150 for steel
    $75 in driveshaft and rebuild
    $150 for tcase
    $180 for 6" springs that i traded for 4" kit
    $160 for wheels that i traded for shocks
    $300 for tires/wheels

thats only $2370, and im sure im forgeting alot of stuff.

17. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

3400 truck
    700 money thrown at my stock front axle
    700 tires and rims
    1100 headers, exhaust completely redone, 2 cats 2 muffs
    ??? tough country lift

18. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

$700 at front axle??? you could have a D60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    $700 at front axle??? you could have a D60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have the D60 and let it sit there. Then you'd have to fix the steering, brakes, wheel bearings, kingpins.......

20. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm just getting started...

4400 89 K5 I figured I would rather pay for a very nice clean paltform to start with, vs spending a year fightin rust etc. Not to mention, the PO's had all the work done at the dealer... it runs like a champ. New A/c , tranny.. stuff like that.

100 bucks or so for various little things like changing a handful of burnt out bulbs etc. oil change etc., still have not finished doing all those little things, and I'll also need to address a small T-case leak. Thinking I may leave it for now... as i may plan on SYE, and just do the fix then.

Next week I'll be dropping 1350 for my D60/14 combo

Yeah.... it's gonna be expensive, but I'll try to find all the deals I can. Besides... I got 40 bucks for the steps that were on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And I just sold a D60 rear for 100 that was given to me. So, in looking for things, I've found some stuff that I don't need, but can sell to get things I do need.

Stone pimp, baby.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif