Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this is going to sound dumb but has anyone heard of the F. W. D. Company?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by primerk5, Nov 17, 2005.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

My freind found this truck it is a f.w.d. It looks like an oshkosh. I have'nt seen it but he is dyeing to get it but wants some info on it first.
    Evidently it came from alaska and it has a giant post hole digger on one end. and on the other it has the biggest winch he has ever seen. It is four wheel drive. It has a straight 6 cylinder engine in it. The current owner is asking 3,000 for it. It dose run. Any ideas on its rareity and value would be great.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

3. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

ya i found that too and one other site that was similar but nothing really about them. thanks

4. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

when i was in high school i worked for a heavy equipement company that sold FWD's since the very beginning of them being a company........they are some of the toughest trucks i have ever dealt with :bow:

my former bosses truck, i believe is on display at the oshkosh factory (they bought out FWD in the 90's i think)........

i have a huge respect for these trucks.........as for value, and collectabilty, that i think is personal.........but 3 grand sounds very resonable

it also depends on the year and model and shape of the truck .........got pics????

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

f.w.d = big beefy heavy duty trucks. for nasty jobs. :D

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I still see em around here for state snowplows. They are beasts, if they don't get the job done, call in the dozers!!!!

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I have seen one that my grandfather used to own but sold for scrap years ago. It had a HUGE International gas inline six, a 5 speed International transmission, and even an International cab. Had some kind of humongous divorced t-case. The front fenders were huge boxes made out of diamond plate, and the hood and grille were FWD pieces. From what I remember...it had a dropside dump on the back. But it was a while ago.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Most airport snow removal equipment is either F.W.D. or Oshkosh. Usually the older, smaller airports will have F.W.D. equipment.

The ones I've seen have a 10' wide dual-auger snowblower on the front, driven by a locomotive-looking straight-6 diesel sitting where the bed would be. Divorced transfer case that looks bigger than a SBC (bit of trivia for y'all - when a transfer case gets that big, it's called a "power divider" in the industry), a front axle that looks bigger than most OTR tractor-trailer rear axles these days, and a cab that's about 12ft. off the ground.

BIG stuff...

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

...and when the "power divider" doesn't lock on the truck that you're using to water down your derby pit with you have on big stuck hunk of iron that takes an entire off road club and their trucks to extract :eek1:

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Got pics? :)

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[hijack]

The one on the left of the pic. Not an FWD I just had a random story. Ended up using three trucks and a small tractor. The water tank was 3/4 full but the more we let out the deeper it sank.

[\hijack]

IMG.jpg

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

F-w-d...

My hometown of Fitchburg MA had a fleet of F-W-D trucks in the DPW for snowplows much like that one pictured!..they also had a few "Walter Snowfighters",that had huge snowblowers on the front,16 feet wide,and 8' tall,and the snowblower had its own 366 or 427 BBC truck motor to power it! :bow: ..NOTHING that truck could not chew through!--we'd sometimes get drifts 10' high,thats when they'ed call for "Walter" to come play!..a few cars got mangled by it when the operator didn't know they were parked in the drifts!.. :eek1: --I used to run when that thing came down my street..it was a beast and a half!..it could throw snow 50 to 100 feet away easily..many airports used them too,I think the truck was actually a Diamond-Reo.. :bow:

The town's fire engines were mostly F-W-D trucks too,with huge diesel engines,and all were four wheel drive..Fitchburg is the second hilliest city in the country next to San Francisco,only they get 60-100 inches of snow every winter pretty much!. :eek1:
    .I've seen the fire engines responding during storms with chains on all the wheels,and I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of one getting stuck..they had a few other weird 4x4 fire engines too,I think they were "Marmon -Harrington" or something like that..a few Deuce and a halfs too,army surplus "brush breaker" trucks..