Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is probably a more appropriate place for this question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I posted this in my post in the off-topic forum about an 86 GMC Suburban at a local car lot...:

------BEGIN TRANSMISSION------
    Ergh...

I went to look at the Suburban today... It looks extremely nice, a little hail damage and the passenger front seat was ripped a bit. Started it up and it started pretty well, could use a new starter... Let it warm up while I walked around and checked the underside... It sounded alright, little smoke from the tailpipe... Power stuff all worked... I got a license plate and stuck it on the tailgate and pulled out of the lot... Gas pedal was a little stiff, about the same as my Scout and my Jeep and probably my Blazer (but I don't remember)... SO I started truckin down the road and hit 30 mph and there was a loud annoying hum echoing through the inside... I rolled down the window and it sounded like it was just on the inside... I slowed down to turn a corner and it went away... Then I started speeding up again, and at 30 mph, the hum was back... It's hard to explain what it sounds like... I thought it might've been the tires, they look kinda loud... But it didn't sound like it was coming from the tires...

SO I got it back to the lot and took the keys in... Didn't think to ask about the sound. The guy gave me my license and asked if I wanted to buy it, I said I'd think about it... He lowered the price to $1800, no trades. So I said I'd think it over and go back if I wanted it...

Anyway, what might that loud annoying hum be just out of curiosity??? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hard call. Could be resenece off the exhaust system...could be the rear end eating itself. Try to hold a lower gear and see if it still does it. If it still does it at the same speed then it's either transfer case, rear end or tires.

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Could it be a tire out of balance? Maybe a loose driveshaft?

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

could be a harmonic vibration in the driveshaft. i've heard of that happening before. i also know that if you remove the plastic from around newer model vehicle driveshafts, that they are really loud.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the info, y'all... But I'm going to pass on the Suburban... I don't want to end up in a situation like I did with my Blazer where it was in the shop every other weekend costing me ANOTHER $200... can't afford that in money or time, so I'll just keep looking /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif