Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is so embarassing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I told the wife that on Tuesday she gets the Burb and I take the Caravan to Work 3-4 days a week.....

Her Commute - 3-5 miles a day @ 24-28 MPG
    My Commute - 60 miles a day @ 14.7 MPG
    Gas near work 2.89 a gallon

Sounds like a no brainer to me

I dont care if its a new Sport Caravan.....It's still a mini van :crazy:

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I still love off road trucks, even though I'm taking a break for a while, but you have to love 30MPG and a nice smooth ride

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I figured I could tolerate gas prices with my current vehicle until it got to about $2.75 on average. It went to $3.09 here last night...looks like I'm selling the truck.

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

our gas prices have soared to 3.39-3.49 a gallon here for 87 oct. for some reason, they say we are getting our gas fron Colonial and the pipeline is back up to 35%. the local gas station in my town is out period and the town where I work is only letting people get $35 worth a time. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I'll make you a good deal onna 82 Citation. Low mileage (less than 80K). Talk about embarassing to be seen in!!!!! :haha:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck....

I wish anyone selling a full size truck that gets 15 mpg or less,for more than 500 bucks,a lot of luck!..so far,nobody who's interested in my 79 C10 will give more than that for it,and its in decent shape too..( I feel if I went looking for a similar truck,I'd have to pay at least TWICE that much!) :( --there are several nice trucks right in my neighborhood for sale,including an 80's crew cab dually 2wd with stacks --just sitting there for 2 months now..nobody but ME looks at it!--the guy said I was the only one who has stopped in weeks to look it over--and NOBODY will give the 3 grand he's asking for it!

Another truck about a mile away is a 80's fleetside shortbed,all lowered,ground effects,nice red paint job,custom wheels,etc--looks like a brand new truck--4500 or best offer..I thought the guy was going to kiss me when I got out to look!--he said the same thing!--NO ONE is even looking at it!..and he's hurting for cash,otherwise he'd NEVER be selling it in the first place! :screwy:

But all the honda's and toyotas you couldnt junk for 100 bucks a few months ago are now selling like hotcakes for at least 1000 bucks,even junkyards are dragging the ones with clean titles out and selling them!--if I still had my 86 Jetta diesel (that I sold for 100 bucks to a junkyard,and they resold it for 500 to a porta rican :doah: )--I'd be able to name my price now!--I'v seen them selling for 1500-2000 bucks in the want ads,and they were no better than mine,judging by the description!...

There is a 1972 Buick Riviera in the paper with a 455 !--a one year "boattail" Riv,was listed for 1000 bucks--now its down to 500! :eek1: --try and buy a 455 in a junkyard NOW--there IS none!..but this one will be scrapped most likely..what a shame this is,all our classics are going to waste!..makes me wish I had the money to buy up and hoard some of theese cars and trucks..people will regret junking them later,when its too late.. :(

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

This may sound asnine, but if gas goes up to around $3.30 from the $2.75 average your only going to spending an extra $14.00 to fill up to 25 gallons, yes it may seem like a lot, but calculate how much money you will loose by sellling your truck for less than you have in it, and buying a vehicle that gets better fuel mileage, I guaranty you wont gain anything or it will take you a long time to equalize the costs. say for instance you have $5,000 in your truck, you sell it for $3,000, taking a loss of $2k, the only car you can find that is decent is $4500, now your $3500 upside down, and it will take a LONG time to recoup that cost by saving money on fuel. The one way I can suggest saving money is drive like grandma, find out about alternative fuels such as ethanol or car pool. Or non-op the truck and buy a little POS.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Wear pink............. :D

9. mikey_d05

My parents want to unload their '01 GP, that's the only thing that permits me to do this economically. Otherwise yes, I'd get raped. I'm talking about my DD here though, I'm not planning on selling the toy anytime soon. It's gonna cost me $50 just to go home and back this weekend, plus the alternator that burned up yesterday. :(

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well if I were you do whatever is your capability to keep the Blazer cause you will kick yourself in the ass once gas prices come down and you can afford to drive it again. If needed go get a small loan at the bank to pay for the car, you could probably get a first time buyer loan for it for a pretty low monthly payment, plus that would help you build credit history which is a good thing if you pay the bills on time.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I skipped out on going to my 40-mile drive east end office today in favor of the 3 mile drive train station, even though I wanted to stay on LI today. I didn't even think of taking the 25+mpg minivan, that would've been way better, I probably would've gotten home earlier, too.

12. mikey_d05

OK, let me rephrase slightly. I can afford to keep my DD, however, over about $2.75 a gallon it's not economically feasible to. I don't use the truck as a truck, it's an everyday vehicle with 33's. So it's pretty much pointless to get 14 mpg when I could get 30. I have the Pumpkin for a weekend toy and my dad's diesel for a tow rig. Having 4wd in the winter or while hunting is definitely nice, but a front wheel drive can do a lot of things very well. Not to mention the car handles and stops way better than my current one on dry stuff. Basically my driver being a truck does nothing for me except looks cools and drains my wallet. As for gas prices coming back down, sure, a little, but economists are predicting a $3.50 average by Christmas. Not trying to start an argument as you have some very good points, I just think that this is probably the best move for me right now.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

*Stands Up*
    My name is Corey and I also drove MY Wifes Caravan to work and left the truck with Her.
    *Group Hugs*

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My wife has a 5-mile one way commute, I have a 1.2.

She gets to take the Diesel cuz it gets better mileage (15) than her 360 pig (11). I'm taking the '03 Huffy. It gets 5 miles per fart, so I'm doing pretty good :D

Mike

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ooh, I thought you were selling your blazer, if your just selling your DD truck then thats ok.

16. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I wish I lived close enough to ride a bicycle. It's a 20 miles commute each way and uphill both ways too :D

17. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

guy at work lives down the road from me but works a different shift. Before all this gas stuff he would ride his bike or run to work. This is a 12.5 mile run. :screwy: Ain't no way i'm running that to work or using the bicycle. just bought a 82 datsun that gets a little better than 25mpg for 500. Looking at a 85 nissain 4x4 guy wants 700 for it but it has better than 200,000 miles on it and don't know what kind of mileage it gets. Saw a civic for 300 that needs a front clip i think.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hi my name is Jeremy, i have neither wife nor Caravan, and i have a 15 mile round trip every day. my truck gets 15 mpg on an average day, and i just quit smoking. with cigarettes at around $3.75 a pack, and gas at $3.00-3.30 a gallon, im actually making $.45-.75 a day. :D