Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is what happens to Gov-Locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Nov 24, 2004.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

Not sure what caused it but the thrust block split in half and poked a few holes in the diff cover. If you look close you can see that all but 2 of the teeth on the side gears and stripped off. It was a pain to fix it out on hte trail when everything was covered in mud. Fun in hte end though since all he had to pay for was new carrier bearings. I had a spare 10 bolt open carrier and a brand new set of spider gears in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

yeah, my stock gov loc diff blew towards the end of the summer. i had a shop rebuild if with a detroit though. and i JUST got home from the same shop that just did a 4.56 gear swap. ill see if i can get up some pics of the carnage later in the week.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a lot more pics of the parts and us fixing it. They will all be going up on my website when i finish it.
    Still trying to figure out how to use Dreamweaver....

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Heres mine , note the missing piece of carrier , the bolt that holds the crosshaft was sheared clean off with the broken piece , and part of it was stuck in the crosshaft , we had to grind a bit to get it and the guts out of the way of the c-clips . Thank god the c-clips stayed put /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

5. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That last pic. looks exactly like what happened to mine about a month ago.

6. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

Mine just stripped the teeth off the end of the govenor and side loading cam gear. Guess I was lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Mine is still the best. Some of you may have seen this picture in a magazine.

[​IMG]

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Wow have you got us beat.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a friend of mine has an 83 K20 i sold to him and he has been using it really hard for that year now, hauls heavy trailer loads to peoria almost daily and yanks and tugs and pulls trucks cars and stuff out of places where they been abandoned for years so he can haul them to scrap

the truck has G80 gov lok in it it i worry about it, i cannot believe the axle has not blow up yet but it hasnt,

i think he is gonna have a big problem when it blows up finally and it coudl be at any time, who knows when, i hate riding in the truck with him to peoria cuz i am paranoid about the axle blowing up, i try telling him all the time he needs to find a 3.73 14 FF but he couldnt care any less

i havent gone on any trips in the truck with him for a couple months and i wont again,

he doesnt have functional seatbelts in the truck either, he cut them for some odd reason i dont know, so when that axle blows on him and if it does it on the freeway then its not gonna be pretty

what he has put that truck through has be dumbfounded as to how the axle is still in one piece,

ive seen 14 ff gov lok blow up just by looking at them wrong and this one is still doing good, somehow, by miracle i guess

however a couple months back when we were out in the country pulling an F250 out of some woods so we could load it on the car trailer i saw driver side tirestop skipstop skipstop on the grass and make a click sound each time it skipped, this was at very slow speed trying to yank this ford out of the woods, it was caught up against another car and a tree so he was yanking damned hard, the end of back bumper of the ford truck dug in and ripped the rear quarter of the car it was next to and got caught on it real bad, he heard the click click click from under back of truck too and he was like "what was that" and i was like i dunno,

i wasnt gonna evne try to say anything, i dont gave up on trying to tell him he is risking it,

maybe some gov lok are bullet proof ?

lol

i dunno

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well at least the 14bff gov loc won't let you lose the tire and wheel assembly . Don't be paranoid , worst your doing is calling a friend to come tow you both home when it goes /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif