Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is what happens when I get bored...(lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Scrt_Agent_Man, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Scrt_Agent_Man

Scrt_Agent_Man Registered Member

After looking at the kick panel thread today I decided to get off my ass and try to finish up my stereo. Problem is, I don't have the money right now to spend on a set of kick panels, nor do I have the experience to try to make my own, and needed some place to mount my components so this is what my day turned into...

This is what I started out with...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting excited cause they're about ready for the fiberglass...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I realise that while the wife was out watching me and asking a million questions about what I was doing I screwed up...
    [​IMG]

THEY'RE BOTH FOR THE SAME SIDE!!!

Soooo... I took the one apart and fixed it. Now they're ready...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's what I ended up with after my very first time EVER using fiberglass...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're in the garage drying the rest of the way right now and then I'm going to hit them with some Mar-glass to fill all the low spots were the material caved in. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be smoothing out some bondo and getting them ready for wrapping or paint. I'll update this thread with more pics as I work on them and post the rest when they're finished.

2. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

How many layers of fiberglass is that? What are you mounting in them?

I really need to start working on my k5 audio, right now there is NOTHING, no deck, no speakers, NOTHING. It sucks driving for an hour up to table mesa with out it!!

I am planning on taking out my center console, and making a custom sub box to fit there and wrap around the back sears, and I am going to build it so the I still have a center console. I have it drawn up, I just need someone to cut some rings for me, might head over to the audio shop tomorrow.

3. Scrt_Agent_Man

Those pics were taken right after I put the second layer on. I ended up putting one more on them later that night. I've got a set of Memphis M-Class components going in there and a set of Fusion 6.5" components are going to go in the back seat under the ash trays. I picked up some mar-glass and bondo yesterday and will hopefully get them finished up in the next day or two and ready to be wrapped and installed by this weekend.

4. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Nice, with the bondo, things should smooth out real nice. I liked that black fabric you originally strached over it, I think that would look good IMO.

I am thinking about doing soem custom kick panels, instead of door mounted, but not sure if I have the time right now, I could care less about sound quality in my truck, I already spent over 1500 on the system in my car, I just want to be able to listen to MP3 cd's.

5. Scrt_Agent_Man

I was going to do kick panels but didn't want to get into aiming them and all that since this was my first time doing anything like this. I was also worried about having such an expensive set of components down there getting splashed with water and mud and getting kicked alot.

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

True, I do too much wheeling, my truck floor is always dirty. I was thinkign roof mounted speakers would rock, but not sure how I would rig that.

For the box, I am thinking about just doing a small box behind the two front seats, where it drops down from the bed, maybe just 1 10".

Definelty post pics when they are installed, I like how it looks, I might run the same setup.

7. bigdave1050

bigdave1050 1/2 ton status

Looks Good:waytogo: If your worried about the speakers getting wet or banged up maybe you should try marine speakers. this is what I'm putting in the back of my Blazer. I always drive with my top off and I have gotten caught in rain storms where the bed gets really wet.

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I never thought of that!!! Do marine speakers sound as good though... I know I saw some alpine marine speakers I think they were at circuit city, might have been a different brand though.

Do they make marine sub amps?! :haha:

I mainly do muddin and stuff with my k5 now, no trails really besides getting to the mud, but I usually keep my top on, but I take the back window out, and my side window got shot out, so when it rains my bed gets wet sometimes.

9. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Actually yes they make marine subs and marine sub amps/mult channel amps.

10. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmmm, I might have to do that...

Do they make marine audio cables? How do you secure the cables connecting to the amp I wonder? Espically your ground cable, I guess I would have to mount it in a odd place.

Have you installed those panels yet?/?

11. Scrt_Agent_Man

Nope. Been busy working on other things and had to put those on hold for now. I'll still post pics once I get them done though.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Use wheel bearing grease if you are real cheap. Dielectric grease is better, if you have it. Or you can take the entire amp apart and spray everything down with corrosion-x and not worry about water. Its that good. Used it many times for many things.

13. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Ive never heard of marine audio cable. Im not sure I see how it would differ from normal high-quality cable (oxygen free, twisted pair, etc).

I try to stay away from dialetric grease on amplifier connections (and speakers etc) because its messy. But if you are having trouble with corrosion, try it. Otherwise, Id skip it there and see how the contacts work without it.