Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is what I tow with...(56k beware) Whaddaya think? NEW PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by big94gmc, Nov 8, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

It's not a GM (which surprised the crap outta me)....it's not a Furd....it's not a Dodge....but it is a diesel, and it is a manual.

I'm different, and I like to 'go against the grain' whenever I can - call it a character flaw.

I bought this off eBay a couple months ago. It's a '96 Freightliner FL80, 3126 Cat (300hp), 6 spd, 72" living quarters, and it had a 22' cargo box that I removed and built a custom flatbed. It's registered as a motorhome, and qualifies as one, too, so it's all good to go. It's definitely not finished, more work is in the plans. Feel free to ask questions and pick at it as ya'll see fit. I have a TON of pics, but I'll just post up a few throughout various stages of the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the only pic I could find 'loaded up'. I built it so that that my 'crawler fits on the flatbed, and I can hook up a gooseneck trailer and pull 2-3 more 'crawlers. Once the headache rack gets built, it'll be alot closer/tighter to the cab, making more clearance for the neck of the trailer.

(picture removed)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The flatbed looks nice, but that trail truck is ugly as sin :haha: . I assume you made the dovetail so short so the gooseneck will fit? What kinda mileage you get outta that thing?

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Yes, the tail end has been tapered and dovetailed to accomodate ease of loading, and clearance for trailer tongues. I get about 11-12mpg with a load.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That appears to be an older Kenworth sleeper you have there.

Very interesting set up, very unique. The 3126 Cat is a pretty good engine all in all. Weve got a 3116 (mechanical version) in a newer tractor and has been a good engine, besides it starting to miss yesterday. Ours needs an injector, I think.

I think I prefer the old fashioned trailer/HD pickup combo for the benifet of multiple uses. It's a little big to run to town for something. :haha: But, it will probably be easier with no trailer wiring and hooking up to deal with.

5. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Nope, sorry. It's an '99 AlumiBunk 72" condo double bunk....I'm (eventually) gonna strip the interior out of it and re-do it the way I want.

You didn't look hard enough.... There's a recessed pocket in the back where the goosenack ball will go (like I said, it's still being built). It's already wired with electric brakes. Oh, and I do run this around town....it's fun.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

That damn thing gets better mileage than my DD...

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Mine, too. :rolleyes: That's why I drive it work a couple days a week - it's just a really big pickup truck.

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thats AWESOME:bow::bow: I like that idea

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looked like a Kenworth sleeper, never mind then.

I relize you can pull a 'neck, I read your post. You don't need to pull a trailer right? FOr yourself you can just load the single truck on the back and go right?

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

You're right, I don't need to pull a 'neck. I built this so, if it's just me, I load up and go wherever I want to go. If my friends are going too, I hook up to their gooseneck and pull them. Fuel cost is less per person, and it's just more fun. ;)

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

How do I see the pics? I want to see this thing!
    It just says Photobucket: bandwidth exceeded

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Crap.... They're telling me that I've exceeded the limits of my free account, and they're sending me emails every day asking me to start paying for it. I'll have to figure something out to get these pics to view. Give me some time.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

That looks sweet man, what kinda license you need to drive that? Need an air brake endorsement or what?

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

thats dang cool. i think bedsides and a tailgate would do the trick. :haha:

15. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

Why did you decide to take the box off :confused: is it because for the goose neck or was it a tight fit for the truck :confused: the box would have been a cool place to store extra parts,tools and a dry place to work on things :D

16. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

secure, too.

17. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No special license is required because it's a motorhome. However, I hold a Class A CDL, and I won't let anyone drive it that doesn't have at least a Class A.

I can't pull a gooseneck with a box. I built it how I wanted it. All the tools will be there.

18. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Nice rig! Sounds like you've found the ideal tow rig.

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Plenty of room under the bed for tool boxes... Love that setup myself. My ideal tow rig would be an old COE 1948-55 GMC with a cummins 5.9L, 6 spd, sleeper, and a flatbed similar to that one. How long is your bed?

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

thats how it should be.. how YOU want it. i love my current setup with the goose and the conex box on it, BUT would LOVE to have your tow rig.

then i could put the blazer on the back of the truck, tow the goose with a 30 foot box on it that is a HOUSE....

the awesome thing about building it yourself is it is how you want. with the length you have under the bed of the truck you have PLENT of storage space. please keep us updated with progress as i love the start.
    Grant