Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This is why I drive GM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Jul 23, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Took the '73 out 'wheeling today.... Nothing much, but I've learned that my truck leaves much to be desires: needs a track bar, beefier steering, adjustments to clutch and t-case levers, longer wheelbase, lower center of gravity - and my list goes on. This truck is definitely a good start, it just needs more modifications. I would never even consider 'wheeling, building, or driving anything else but a GM - that's the beauty of a GM....you can only make 'em better.

Not once, or twice, but THREE times today I had it leaned on the drivers side door. The door is completely bashed in and wrinkled. I bent the door so bad you can see a wrinkle on the inside near where the speaker would be. I thought I'd be screwed. But :D , while I was dragging over a tree, the mirror posts didn't bend, only the mirror folded in. The window still rolls up and down like it should, it isn't cracked at all, and the door still catches on the latch when you open and close it like it should. I'm impressed.

It's a good thing I was already thinking tube doors. :haha: I did crack the windshield, though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I need to get A/C working in this thing. I'm still pretty embarassed by it, so I'm not going to go too much into it, but I suffered severe heat exhaustion on the trail today, faded in and out of concousness (sp), and had to be taken off the trail on an ATV while someone else limped my truck back to the dually. Wasn't a very pleasent day, all in all.

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

sweet ride man :D

Stay hydrated your in florida for crying out loud and no beer doesn't count as staying hydrated :wink1: :p:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  3. google

google 1/2 ton status

:D People in other states are too funny. I spent 2 years working construction during the summer months here in AZ. Outside temps in the 120s and up and working inside apartments that are topping 140 and up. Never had a single problem..... Just gotta bring some water. :D The best part was that I could bring leftovers and put them on the dash of my truck an hour or so before lunch and they would be super hot when lunch time came around. And don't give me any of this crap about dry heat and humidity are so different. I agree until it's 120+ outside. Then it's just hot no matter what you are in. :haha: :eek1:

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah thats a cool truck man. It looks hardcore :D

5. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool rig dude, whats the specs?

6. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

oh come on dude, that'll buff out. put a bit of wax and bit of hammer action and you'll be fine. she'll be good as new. :D

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

good lookin ride!! :D

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Maybe I shoulda been a little clearer.... In preparation for today, I drank alot of water yesterday, and has about 10 bottles while we were on the trail. And it still happened. I know how to handle heat, so no one was more surprised then I was when I started getting dizzy and loopy. I was getting in shade were I could, drinking what I could, and I still fell off.

But ya'll missed the point of the thread - I dented my truck!! :o And it still works fine! :D

9. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:bow: Sweet looking ride. I would like to have AC but here is no where as warm as you guys have. We are in Cel not Fa. 23 C and u p is way to hot for us and I had heat exhaustion before here. I would die where some of you guys live. :D

10. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

tips on hydration and preventing heat exhaustion/ heat stroke.....

-for every hour outside doing any type of physical activity you should drink at least one liter of water per hour.

-If you don't like water but drink Gatorade, dilute the Gatorade 50/50 with water. Believe it or not this will help your body utilize the liquid faster.

- In very hot climates it will probably be necessary to drink more than 1 liter of water per hour, you can tell what your body needs by keeping track of the frequency and color of your urine output. If you aren’t taking a leak every hour or your urine isn't very light yellow or clear you’re on your way to dehydration.

-Avoid caffeinated or overly sugary drinks. Both act as a diuretic. This is a hard one for me because I had a coffee mug surgically implanted to my hand many years ago. For every Ounce of caffeinated beverage you should drink at least the same amount of water.

-Some early sighs of heat stroke/ heat exhaustion are headache, irritability, confusion, and as mentioned before infrequent or dark urination.

-I use a Camelbak and have been since they first hit the market, great piece of gear and once you start using it it will really make drinking a thoughtless thing. When I really exerting myself I slam a liter of Gookinaid every hour or two on top of the water im drinking. Wear a hat. Long sleeves and pants actually help in very dry climates, but avoid cotton like the plague (cotton is known as the cloth of death)

I have been doing some form of heavy physical activity in hot climates for the last 15 years and have seen lots of heat injuries, once you have suffered from one you are more susceptible to getting them again. This might be a good topic for its own post in general. I hope your ok.

Cheers, rugger

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

not my truck, and i am not trying to butt in his glory about his truck, but here are some of the specs:

73 cab w/custom flatbed, 108" wheelbase
    brand new crate 350
    sm465(granny low)
    advanced adapters 203/205 doubler (118 to 1)
    1 ton drive lines
    Front d60, open,4.56, new hubs
    Rear 14 bolt, detroit, 4.56 , new axle shafts, freshly rebuilt as of summer
    swaybar from Bent And twisted 4x4
    Front is 4-link with 16in sway away coil overs
    Rear is 3-link 1/4 eliptic
    all links are .250 dom.
    hydro asist. steering
    44in. TSL (grooved) on 15x10 beadlocks
    auto meter tach
    warn 9000
    rock lights
    brand new pioneer stereo
    CB with Fire stick antena

12. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Isn't that bagataway's old rig off pirate? I always thought that thing was a monster.

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

14. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Yea, I bought this off bagataway. Cool kid. I wasn't impressed with a couple features about it, but it's a work in progress.

When I'm finished with what I want to do, it won't be recognized as his truck anymore. Can't wait to get to that point.

15. Tank74

Tank74 Newbie

Wow, I always wondered what happened to that rig. I live in Woodland, CA (near Sac) and used to see it in town all the time, then it dissappeared. He actually tried to pull my junk out of a mud hole one time. Was the guy's first name Dave?

16. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can we get som closeup shots of the front and rear suspension?

17. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

It's in Florida now. And no, not Dave. Not even close.

I'll get some pics later. The suspension needs work done to it (i.e. track bar to locate front axle, or might but switch from 4-link to 3-link in the front - I don't know yet). Suspension has too much flex in it, and don't give me any shiat about that....there is such a thing as too much flex. The axle wants to move laterally under the truck, and that creates a whole slue of problems. Those issues and more will be addressed in the near future.

18. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

i have always liked that truck

19. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Probably some good ole carbon monoxide working with the heat.