Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This just pisses me off.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks like South Dakota is going to allowe hunting for Mountin Lions. I'm very much against hunting Mountin Lions for sport. I can understand if a big cat attacks a person, or if one is killing live stock. But I'm still against killing them for sport !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More innfo on Mountinn Lions can be found here . They are bueatiful animals.

2. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

they look great mounted also /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dave

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, what's the argument for the hunting? Is there an overpopulation of mountain lions in South Dakota? If there is, this is the way to help keep the ecosystem equilibrium intact so things don't get out of wack.

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

And I hear they taste like chicken /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Stomper /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I remember back in the mid 90's when California banned mountain lion hunting. The very next year was when we started to have problems. Joggers, campers and hikers being attacked. Live stock being killed. Domestic animals killed.
    I hate to say it but it is needed to control the population. For one thing they dont have the hunting areas that they once had so if you let them over populate it will screw up the food chain and most would starve anyways. I have seen the damage that they can do in a populated area when they run out of hunting areas. My Uncle is a Federal Predator Controler I have went with him on a few lion hunts and they can and will come down to ranch or farm or even a neiborhood and kill if they are hungry enough.
    I also heard that their backstraps are pretty tasty.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm sure their is justifiable reasoning for hunting them other than sport. As an avid duck hunter and sportsman in general its amazing to me how often I am approached and stereo typed as a murder! If people would research and learn that most of the money in this nation that sets aside areas to view animals in their natural enviroments (state and national parks) and wildlife management areas comes from the sales of hunting licenses they might be a little less harsh towards hunters. Why let an animal starve and die, or attack because of hunger when we can harvest ( I dont kill or murder, I harvest) a minimal amount of animals and keep them in check with the enviroment allowing them to stay healthier and more productive. This will equal healthier offspring and more beautiful animals for you to view. There are people who hunt them for the pure sport, but that $ goes to the state and federal funds as well as the money they spend on lodging, gas, and food. Now, poachers are the ones I cry and complain about. They will take away our hunting privledges and no longer allow us to harvest animals. So should we find and encourage more poachers or allow people to harvest them for food and sport after paying fees?
    Oh yeah that gas might go to terrorist? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh man,
    I read the title of this thread...
    I thought he was going to be talking about one of his other threads. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mountain lions huh?

How about hunting Buffalo?

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

hey no hijackign this thread, it has a valid point!

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i agree, only if they are over populated /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna come up thar and take the damn "!" key off your keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    J/K Paul, I totally agree. There's a difference between animal control and animal killing.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

At the momment there is an est. 150 Mountin Lions in the Black Hills. They just came off the threatened species list. There has been no reports that I know of, about any Mountin Lion attacks on people or livestock. Now if one attacked a person or live stock, I can see hunting down and destroying that cat. But I am dead set against hunting them for sport !!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With an area as large as the black hills nationnal forest, 150 Mountin Lions is nowhere near over poppulated. Pleanty of wild game for them to eat. Deer, Elk, Turkey, Rabit, Prarie dog, ...ect. If anything, we have a over poppulation on the Deer and Turkey up around here !!!!!!

14. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

SOMEBODY CALL TED NUGENT!!! QUICK!!

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't have anything against hunting, but these animals just came off the threatened species list. I'm like WTF !!!! Are they trying to get them right back on it ?????

16. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

If people didn't exsist there would be no problem... But people exsist. And as long as they do, there has to be some sort of control over wild animals near population.

I once saw a bumper sticker that read. "Save The Planet! Kill Yourself!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You right on the mark. This all started becouse someone who built a house out in the forest, seen a Mountin Lion, took some pics of it in his yard, and it was all over the news. Well, lets see, the house is in the forest, Mointin Lions hunt Deer mostly, and on TV the guy was saying "We get Deer & Elk in the yard all the time, but this is the first time I've seen a Mountin Lion." As soon as the Mountin Lion seen the guy, it took off running into the woods.

18. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

we can kill them for coming on our property, but we have a big fit when they attack us for going on theirs...go figure. As "advanced" as people have become, we're still just animals are part of the food chain. We wouldn't be near has high on it were it not for technology.

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This all started becouse someone who built a house out in the forest...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been saying the same thing about "Forest People" who complain about fires, floods, mudslides and wild animals and then try to sue someone else over it. They should have thought the situation out a little before planting themselves right in the middle of nature.

Same thing with people who buy a house near an air port. I could complain about them being too close to my runway the same as they complain about a 60 year old airport being too close to thier 6 month old house.

Now if you move to the forest and expect wild animals, floods, mud slides and fires, and you do the best you can to be PREPARED for these things then that's what you put up with to be so close to nature and away from the big city...

BTW... I prefer wild animals to humans any day! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status