Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THIS MAY BE A DUMB QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Mar 28, 2003.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Ok guys i'am working on my buggy and the rear springs are 52 in. The problem is I don't have any weight in the rear so the schackle is way forward and I want to correct it back so i'am going to install the 56 in. Chevy spring. I'am also thinking of flipping the spring so it will also move the axle 4in. back also. OK! any feed back would be great THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

no one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Flipping the spring won't work because of where the centering pin is on the springpack. The pin will end up on the upward part of the spring thus giving your axle's pinion a terrible pointing-downward angle. (I don't know this for sure since I haven't tried it, but that's the only thing I can think that would happen) Maybe shims would fix it, but that probably isn't even a possibility with the angle I'm thinking.
    And, even though the 52" spring is "short" on the shackle now, I think you'll have a very difficult time stuffing a 56" spring in there without relocating the hanger. It may be possible, but I doubt it.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running 57" F150s backwards. Yeah, there is a pinion issue at static ride height, but I move the rear mount down to compensate. Bigger problem is that as the droop (arch) the tendency for the pinion to go down gets even worse. To combat that I run the springer setup so that the back can move down before arching too badly. Works out pretty good since the rear mount swinging down compensates almost perfectly as/when they start to arch. Now, on to the next thing, axle wrap is MUCH worse with the long side in front. The springs I run are not stiff enough for violent hop, but it kills the sh#^ out of the springs... I'm building a custom set of packs to try one more time. If/When they die, I'm going coils and links...

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If/When they die, I'm going coils and links...

[/ QUOTE ]

take LOTS of pics and write LOTS of notes /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Not to get off topic Billy, but do you have any pics of your progress so far?

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I was wondering about the axle wrap and the pinion angle but I wanted to get a fresh idea on the issue. The spring hanger is way way forward and by pushing it back 4in will help and I know I will need the fine tune it by moving the mounting location. I guess I will just run tthe 56in. spring in the normal position that will give me a stock set up from the frt. eye of 26in to center pin and 30in to the back eye so it should push the shackle back 4in. and maybe give me a little more flex. Now I do have pics. and will post more when I start with the cage. I have not worked alot on the truck so that is why things are going slow. But the frt. and rear bumpers are done, fuel cell and skid plate, new frt. shackles and spring hangers, rear shackles, drill frt. springs,cut all body mounts off,sent the truck to the body shop to straighten the frame and weld all the braces,cut thee whole body off,and a bunch of other stuff needless to say I have a run in June and it will be ready for it and early enough to get in some test runs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    THANKS GUYS FFOR ALL YOUR HELP AND INFO.!!!!!!!!!!