Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This may offend some.. but

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

its about damned time someone did something like this..

scholarship for whites only

read the story before you get your panties all in a twist and complain that im promoting racism.. if you dont get the point of the students action, ask and i will explain it to your simple mind..

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

link needs a password. no worky.

3. Confedneck

sorry it was a link from my aol mainpage..

[ QUOTE ]
    Whites-Only Scholarship Stirs College

BRISTOL, R.I. (March 20) - On the sleepy coastal campus of Roger Williams University, a small liberal arts school unaccustomed to student activism, the College Republicans are reveling in the debate they've kicked up by offering a scholarship for whites only.

The $250 award - which required an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness" - has invited the wrath of everyone from minority groups and school officials to the chairman of the Republican National Committee himself.

Jason Mattera, a junior who started the conservative campus group in his freshman year, said kindling debate over free speech and affirmative action was just what he wanted - and he promises more.

"We did our job," said Mattera, 20, of Brooklyn, N.Y. "This is what college is all about, challenging the status quo."

They did such a good job that school President Roy Nirschel, who has clashed with the group before, cut short a trip to Vietnam last month to begin what he called "a healing process" - including forming a commission on civil discourse.

The 35-member group first went toe-to-toe with university administration last year over a series of monthly newsletter articles accusing homosexuals of squelching free speech by pushing for hate-crimes legislation. The articles alleged that a well-known gay-rights group indoctrinates students into homosexual sex.

The administration froze the College Republicans' money for two days. Nirschel said in turn, he received threatening letters claiming he was suppressing the group.

Then another article critical of Kwanzaa, which celebrates the history and heritage of Africa, sparked a complaint by a multicultural student group.

Before the Student Senate had a chance to deal with that issue, the College Republicans came up with the whites-only scholarship.

The application for the $250 award required an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

"Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants," read the application.

Mattera, who is of Puerto Rican descent, said the scholarship was a parody of minority scholarships. Mattera himself was awarded a $5,000 scholarship from the Hispanic College Fund, he said.

"Those who come from white (descent) are left to find scholarships on their own," Mattera said.

The whites-only scholarship generated national publicity, which angered university officials and many students who worried their school was being labeled as racist. Minorities make up less than 10 percent of the 3,400 full-time undergraduates.

Some minorities on campus, like Maria Ahmed, a 20-year-old junior from Providence, felt targeted.

"This is what college is all about, challenging the status quo."
    -Jason Mattera

"At first it was about the newspaper, just about every issue they were bashing some small minority group," said Ahmed, whose parents were born in Nigeria. "It's hard being a minority on campus, and it felt like (they) were directly talking about you."

The scholarship was criticized by the state Republican Party and Ed Gillespie, chairman of the Republican National Committee. In a Feb. 17 letter to Mattera, Gillespie said the scholarship conveys a "message of exclusion" that doesn't represent the party's values. He suspended the group's right to use the party's symbols.

Nirschel, who says he's eager to attract more minority students and faculty members, called the scholarship "repugnant" and convened a town meeting on campus he said attracted more than 500 people.

The meeting, he said, was the first of its kind in the university's history.

His commission on civil discourse includes faculty and student members and has already decided to organize a debate team and create a journal. "This has caused me to redouble our efforts to make the campus open," Nirschel said.

Mattera's cause has seen plenty of support, too.

Increased donations raised the scholarship, which was initially only supposed to be for $50, to $250. The American Civil Liberties Union backed the group's right to free speech after the Student Senate considered taking away its funding after the scholarship was awarded to Adam Noska, a 21-year-old junior from Weymouth, Mass. The Senate set aside the issue.

Some students just liked the idea of a whites-only scholarship.

"Nothing gets to me more than affirmative action," said Jamie Pattison, 19, a sophomore from Marblehead, Mass. "People want handouts."

Despite initial plans to make the scholarship annual, Mattera said it won't be offered next year.

"We'll continue to fight affirmative action ... but I think I made the point," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hows that?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i havnt even read it and i agree, wtf is this black history month crap, and black scholar(sp?) awards and crap like that? no offense ur anything but..gimmie a break! why isnt there anything like this for white people? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hope I don't sound like a racist, but they have the united negro college fund, so why not one for white people ??? There is BET, But is someone started a white channel, they'd be sued quicker then .....

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

If anyone is feeling discriminated against, just take a look at corporate america and you'll feel better. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Big corporate money is what drives the polititions once elected(of course before they are, they swear they're for the people), politics drives government(laws), government establishes the criteria we live by, full circle. University's are "corporate" in mannerism, meaning, money talks. Goverment money goes to these schools to support these programs.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifof course there is never a right or wrong argument here so just a couple of "cents" thrown in the pot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

and I could care less either way.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Blacks, as an example, (this can apply to all non white subcultures) want no discrimination and equal right and the same opportunities that everyone else wants, they don't want to be a minority.

Then they want black history month, scholarships, better opportunitys, more breaks.

You want equal rights? Great! You don't want to be discriminated against? Fine.

Now you wan't special months and days and prizes for something you didn't work for, for the color of your skin? [darn] YOU! You have turned yousefl into a minority, have discriminated and alienated yourself.

Blacks, Muslims, Gays, Mexicans, Cheerleaders, Cheerios, Albinos whatever, you want equal rights? Fine, but if you ruin my day with whiney self serving crap for something you dodn't work for, I hate you, and not because you're a funny color.

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

There are still racists people living out there so there is still racism. I think that will phase out in the next generation and blacks wont get special treatment because they wont deserve it. The real black people who suffered are old and dying, they are the only ones who deserve special treatment.

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I grew up in So Cal and there was definately racism running rampant then.......but it was blacks and Mexicans that hated each each. Ive only lived in CA, WY and AZ and I have never personally known of or seen white vs black racism, in fact Ive seen the opposite. Im against white only scholarships, black only scholarships, brown only scholarships......anything that excludes a race. I judge men by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. This college group is making a point and a good one at that.

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

they are making a good point. I also grew up in So cal and agree with you (bigyellowjimmy). What it has become is a
    quick fix to a bigger condition(not problem). Unfortunetly, no one trys to alleviate societal stresses that are "root" causes way before college and way after college. Anyways, back to the "real CK5" and ebay /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

11. Confedneck

they did do a good thing, especially since the guy whos idea it was is puerto rican..

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Sounds a lot like something we tried at my school 5 years ago when I went for my first degree. We wern't very succesfull in our campaign, not like this guy.

My campus has a group called BUS (Black United Students), after being denied membership in the club because we were of the wrong race/color/heritage . . .we asked the school to allow us to create a new club. . . WUS (White United Students) but the school wouldn't allow us to do that becasue it's racist and hateful. WTF! Wasn't the other organization racist in denying us membership. It's the double standards like that one, that really burn me. I'm not racist in anyway but this double standard crap needs to stop and I'm happy to see someone making a rreal effort and progress in the fight.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I personally am not racist,,,i hate everybody.

also,,,,,

i have a color T.V. and a couple of black cats.

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i always wondered if there were any balck people on here ill guess well find out now.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I have to say, I support this guy. He's doing something to show everyone who might not have been aware that there is reverse discrimation everywhere- in some ways its worse than pure discrimination.

Think about this-
    if you hate jews, your anti semetic;
    if you hate blacks,latinos, etc, your generally just "racist"
    if you love whites, your a "nazi"
    but if you hate whites, your ...... what?

Anyways, point is, there is so much mass marketed reverse discrimation its rediculous. Race is only one, sex is the other. There are laws that help women get equal rights, and to get what they want in the workforce- however, women in higher positions tend not to hire men, because they dont want a man to work with-. Thats reverse discrimination.

Slavery ended in the days of lincoln. If my parents didnt enslave them, why am I paying for it?

Why doesnt the affirmative action only take effect if you can prove your lineage to an acutal slave? I would bet a penny that at least some good percentage of people receiving benefits dont qualify for that.

Equal benefits, equal opportunity, based upon your own merit, work you do with your own hands, that is the way things should be.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

As long as there is something called the human race, there will be racism. Human nature calls for people to be cautious of something they don't know.

17. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i suppose but true racism refuses to "get to know"

its a good story though and yes, the kid makes a good point, it is not fair.

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Why doesnt the affirmative action only take effect if you can prove your lineage to an acutal slave? I would bet a penny that at least some good percentage of people receiving benefits dont qualify for that.

[/ QUOTE ] Does it really matter if they were even related to a slave? I mean are they suffering because someone 4 generations before them was a slave? No, dont think so.

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

show me a 200 year old black guy and i/ll give him everything i own. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm romanian, and i'm sick of being seen as a VAMPIRE.......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif