Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This might be a stupid question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big'nBadK5, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

But searching yeilded no results. Isint't the entire point of locking front hubs to nullify the effects of any type of traction device you have in your axle? Don't the tries just spin freely with no effect or bias when they are unlocked weather you have it detroited or open and anything inbetween?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't the tries just spin freely with no effect or bias when they are unlocked weather you have it detroited or open and anything inbetween?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I thought unlocking the hubs lets just your wheels spin and then the front ring and pinion and axles don't have to spin. Which would free up HP and mileage. Locking the hubs just hooks your wheels back up to power I thought???!!! I don't know for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You're both right, but Rustbucket has the real reason, Charlie is talking about a nice side effect of having locking hubs. You're both right though. They do nullify any kind of traction aid, but the true idea is to disconnect the shafts, and therefore the differential, driveshaft and front output of the t-case. This keeps the parts from moving and makes stuff not wear out as fast, it also will give you more power (marginally) and better mileage. </font>