Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This might sound crazy...Better Emissions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BJarvis354, Jun 30, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

My failure on the NY state emissions test got me to thinking...I realize this question might be counter to my desire for better performance, but I live in NYC and the air sucks enough without any more help from me...Does anyone have any recommendations for IMPROVING my emissions?

Brady

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

How about a little more info on your rig?
    Bill /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

More info would help.
    But
    I see your rig is a 89. I'll assume its TBI and computer controlled.
    You need to check the computer for trouble codes. You prolly have a bad sensor Like O2, MAP or coolant temp. those ae common problems for a failed emmisions test.

4. BJarvis354

Oh yeah info would help...
    Completely Stock (except for the 32" tires)'89 K5 w/ 350 TBI / TH700R4 / NP241. I am not completely sure what part of the emissions I failed either, the guys english was not so good. I got a PDF file that defined the computer error codes, I hadn't thought of that, but I guess I should start there...

Brady

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Bigger tires can put you just over the edge of failing if you are close. Find, steal, beg, or borrow a set of 31x10.50, and that will help a little.

(the above only applies if they testesed using a dyno like out here in CA)
    Check the codes and see what comes up, could be a bad sensor, or egr, pcv valve.

6. BJarvis354

Re: Emissions Failed Again! HELP!

NY is using a dynamometer I guess. I had 31" tires on it the first time it got tested, I had to get the new tires put on to get past the rest of the inspection. Still it failed with the 31s.

I checked for trouble codes and got nothin' but the ol' 1-2...I changed the Plugs and got newish oil in it. I am burning a bit of oil, especially when the engine is cold. Any ideas on how I could improve that? STP Smoke Treatment seemed to help a lot, but it still puffs ot that blue smoke every-once-in-awhile. The engine is strong and sounds great, no lifter tick, etc....Any ideas? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Please help me, I gotta get this passable. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif