Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this motor any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I found this motor...clicky...is it something that is good? i only have about $2500 dollars to spend. so after shipping and the engine...i will have the money to do a little bit to the K5...

edit: go to first post on pg. 2

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. PsychoticDeadGuy

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks to be a good engine for the price and it has a warranty.check with a gm dealer and you might get it even cheaper.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As long as you do not have smog requirments to pass, then you should be good to go. The engine you are looking at is just a little pumped up (about 30 HP over stock), and is going to be right on the edge of passing smog inspection.

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

why would hp have anything to do with smog inspection...as long as i have my catalytic converter on then it should be good. right? i am in cali if that helps.

7. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

if its a fresh motor and all the smog stuff is hooked up i dont think you will have any problems with smog if you are unsure just run the higher octane gas before the smog test that tends to help. as far as horsepower that shouldnt effect it that much unless you have a wild cam or something.

8. 1-ton

California are the ultimate smog Nazi's. HP has a lot to do with passing the emission tail pipe sniffer. More HP = more fuel being compressed into the cylinders, which = more Hydrocarbons.

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

then why could my GF's dad get his camaro to pass smog when he is pushing over 500hp? its a 2000 i believe....

10. 1-ton

I dunno? Ask him...maybe he will be able to help with your truck, if you have a problem :D.

11. PsychoticDeadGuy

12. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it matters or not but i think the blocks are the same as far as the way they bolt up.... if you are using fuel injection i think there may be a difference but then again there may not be waiting for someone to chime in to find the answer to this question.

I was told a long time ago that you can put injection on an older carbed motor but im not sure what to do other than change the manifold and make sure that all the locations for the sensors are there so that the computer can function properly

13. PsychoticDeadGuy

i was going to put my intake on it...i know all the SBC intake manifolds will bolt up between the early 60s or so up to about the early 90s or late 80s...as far as i have been told.

14. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

what kind of injection is it?

15. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I got my new 350 Small Block for about $1,000 and it's relatively the same numbers for horsepower and torque. I would say look around some more, other people will have some good deals. :D

16. PsychoticDeadGuy

i have TBI. i will order an edelbrock intake manifold if i get the engine but the TBI unit will stay the same...maybe new injectors or something...but will be TBI

17. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

ok i found out that everything should be ok as long as you have all the TBI and sensor parts from your old motor to put on the older block if anyone thinks otherwise let us know

18. PsychoticDeadGuy

thanks...i will look into it a little further and i will call the company tomorrow.

19. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

If memory serves: in Kalifornia, if you replace an engine with a different engine, the law requires you to conform to the more stringent requirements between the vehicle and the powerplant. E.g., if you put a new Vortec pick-up engine in an 85 Blazer, you will be held accountable to conform with the Vortec requirements. If you put an 85 Blazer engine in a 77 Blazer, you would have to conform with the 85 Blazer emissions equipment and standards.

The only exceptions I know of are that, currently, 1975 and earlier vehicles are smog-exempt. This means that you can do basically anything and not have to sweat it.

But, if you are running something newer, you are going to have problems. If they are in a really picky mood, they can run the block casting and/or displacement and you can get tagged on that if they decide that you are trying to bypass the regulations.

I haven't kept 100% up to date on the requirements as I started either buying new vehicles and not screwing around with them, or buying older smog-exempt vehicles.

As for your girlfriend's father's Camaro pushing 500 hp smog legally: there are a LOT of ways to increase the output on the F-bodies with the newer small blocks. These parts will have a CARB exemption number which means that the Kalifornia Air Resources Board has finally gathered that the replacement part does not contribute to increased emissions when used as the manufactuer recommends. At least that is the short version or what I understand about it.

Kalifornia IS the smog-nazi and trying to understand why they do things or to attempt to apply logic to their rulings will do nothing but drive you insane.

Good luck on your engine hunt. Personally, I'm a fan of the Goodwrench engines. When I worked for Chevrolet parts (12-15 years ago), if your Goodwrench that you installed had a problem, they handled all the labor and parts under the warranty. Even if you installed it yourself.

20. PsychoticDeadGuy

ok, thanks for the insight. i will call the DMV tonight and see what they say...hey, your in oroville? im heading out there this weekend. i wont have my k5 with me though.