Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This pisses me off........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 1, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We have a local message forum for pretty much everything. Yesterday a lady posted for advice on auto repair...anyway a lot of people replied with their favorite mechanic, and a bunch of people replied flaming about her being a single mom wanting some help for a good price....Here is my post

What do you need done? I know a bit about cars and I may be able to point you in the right direction or fix something for you. I am not going to recommend A mechanic as I do not use them.

This is what somebody replies.

here is the answer to everything, the famous "back yard mechanic" stepping up to save the day, you know the guy that can fix everything, and if he does fix your car and you have a problem with it there is nothing you can do to him because you knew going it to the deal that he was not licenced to do automotive repair. why trust the experts when there are guys like him around. believe me, I see his kind of work all the time and it is usually after he has messed it up to the point that it takes twice as long to fix it. there is a reason why shops have licences, and have liability insurance, and why proper training and standards are practiced at most all shops, this is all for the sake of protecting the customer, and it comes at a high price but it is there for you incase a mechanic makes a mistake or a part fails and something happens to you! think about it before trusting the "back yard mechanic"

This is my reply...was I correct??

and to you Mr. Rude...you apparently know nothing about mechanics...just because my name isn't on a sign means I can't help somebody in need??? If I didn't know what I was doing I wouldn't try to help. What if it is something simple that a shop may charge up to $80 because her car was there for 12 minutes (1 hour) Find something better to do.....I said "I may be able to point you in the right direction or fix something for you"....I never said I "can" fix your problem whatever it is!! To the person who wrote this I was just trying to be nice and HELP somebody...isn't that what a "community" is about? You go ahead and keep having Jiffy Lube change your oil and making comments about others people's mechanical ability!!.....Go Away..if you don't trust my ability come see me. Brian

I don't know maybe I had to much to drink, but I think this guy is out of line. I was just trying to help somebody...maybe a spark plug boot came off or something I would hate to see somebody get charged an hourly fee for something like that. Just trying to spread the CK5.COM helpfullness spirit I guess.............

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Sounded good to me!...I agree, that would definitily piss me off..wait it is pissing me off. People these days /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

One of those people who thinks that you need to have "professionals" do work on your car. Even though most times if they lie and over charge you there is not much you can do about it. Not to mention I as a non mechanic found problems that the "pros" couldn't find and fix correctly.

Guy is just an ass hole cause he is probably not mechanically inclined. Let him go to the dealership to get his car fixed, some of us know better.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Lets face it, shops are in business to make money on not to be a community service. It's the "shadetree" mechanic that can usually make the difference between an easy repair turned expensive and a hard repair gone wrong. I can see both sides of the fence and it really comes down to the person in either case. Either could just as easily make things worse when you break down the averages. But, those poeple who have the local word of mouth "shadetree" mechanic look at the vehicle first can many times save a boatload of cash on the easy stuff, diagnose more difficult problems to a good degree of certainty and provide alternative options and many times offer up a reputable shop to take on the more involved repairs. There is just too much misdiagnosis and corruption with auto shops these days and much of it stems from the employees and not the owner of the shop. An employee has much less interest in the well being of the company than they do the wellbeing of themselves and it generaly is at the expense of both the business and the customer, where as many shadetree mechanics have less interest in profit and more interest in the passion of the art of mechanics which many times leads to starting their own business. Either way your going to find bad apples but your more likely to find it in an employee than the owner or enthusiast.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I 100% agree with you. The guy who owned my blazer before I did, took it to a real shop to fix the leaking intake, a little while later he wondered why the engine went bad (was knocking quite loudly), so he sold it. I bought it, only to find some real mechanic at a real shop had left a shop rag under the intake blocking all of the holes for oil to get ito the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I, the shadtree, (I guees thats what you call everyone who works on their own cars without having a "real" mechanic work on them), took it apart, and put the everything back together myself, and it fired up and ran first crank. HHMMMM, not too bad for a "fake" mechanic.
    -Harrison

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

One of my naighbors asked me to look at their Celica the other day. They told me it was acting very wierd and that it would suddenly lose power among other things. I told them I may not be able to help but that I'd be glad to look at it anyways.

I pop the hood and fire it up and it runs very nicely, so I look for the throttle mechanism to rev it a bit while I watch. I find the throttle linkage, it's a circular type of bracket held to the throttle shaft by a nut, and the shaft is a 'D' shape. Turns out the nut had slowly backed off and the throttle bracket was loose enough that it wouldn't work all the time. I tightened that nut after putting just a dab of loc-tite on the threads and everything was cool again.

I would have to guess that particular problem would have taken a while to diagnose at a 'Stealer'. Make an appointment, put it on a scope, let it idle for a while, do a diagnostic scan for codes, and whatever else before someone actually got in there and possibly find the problem. Could easily have cost $200 or more for a very simple and minor problem.

My neighbor asked me how much I wanted and I said "You don't owe me a thing...it was an easy fix" She bought me a case of beer anyways and all was good.

In all honesty if it was something beyond my abilities I would have told her so, but I probably could have narrowed it down. Being a 'shade-tree' guy isn't a bad thing, and it's nothing to be afraid of or anything either.

We can and often do fix things the right way, and more often than not we know what our limits are as well. That guy that replied to you is a jack-ass...

Rene

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I prolly have more formal automotive education than half the clowns around here!!

2 years vo-tech
    AAS in Automotive Technology from Wyo-tech...

Rob "Proud to work on my junk in the Back-yard" Usnick

8. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I take my hat off to the backyard mechanics...I wish I had half of their knowledge. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some of us are learning and it's good to know there are good people out there that can lend a hand and offer advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif