Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This problem is blowing my mind???????*******UPDATE********

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Aug 31, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I had problems with my truck last night I put in a tach and it must have grouned out somehow and the truck died last night no spark disconnected the tach this am and she started right up. COOL right , not. I then went to get gas for a road trip on this extened weekend and she died at the gas station...bummer got pulled the the house about 3 blocks away let her sit for a while and with some hesitation she started right up. Well I know its not the coil but made me think could be the module going bad I noticed it was running rough and would back fire through the carb meaning the timing is off right ? So I just happened to have a new module here at the house and put it in well cleared up the problem with the starting and running rough well I took her on a test drive and she is still backfiring into the carb. I have check the wires and the plugs and the timing all good funny thing is she backfires on the road but wont do it in the driveway. When I accelerate on the road she backfires and not when I accerlerate here in the drive way. WTF could be wrong I am stumped.....Jason

*****UPDATE*******

I took her to the shop today and found out my coil was burning up had burned up the cap and rotor and the pickup was shot. that all got fixed but still backfiring through the carb the did a compression test all cylinders reading good but the #3 one was at 50 psi and they think it is in the valve somewhere not seating or the valve spring or something they are going to tear it apart tommmorow and find out thanks for all your help guys That alone is worth the membership

2. TxK5Blazer

Re: This problem is blowing my mind???????

TTT come on guys 18 views and nobody has any Idea my brain is fried thinking about it.....

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the timing with a light? also, check to make sure your getting enough fuel at the carb, might be a lean condition, that could be why it only backfires on the road when its eating a lot of gas. It you have a holley take out the screw on the side of the boal and make sure its up to the hole with fuel.

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention, make sure your running on all cylinders as well by pulling plug wires one at a time with it running listening for rpm drop.

5. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a bad pickup in the distributor if it is an HEI which I assume it is. This required disassembly of the dist. to replace the pick-up. Sometimes you can see the windings around the pick-up look brittle and deteriorated.
    T.J.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i am with him i think its in your distributer check your contac points and the little springs for the counter balance weights are the srings there and are the weight's moving freely
    i have learned new does not allways mean its good

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

How about the carb? Had this problem with mine recently and we rebuilt the carb, and changed the plugs and she runs like a champ now. Kit was like $25 at Oreily's. Was pretty nasty inside. Just a suggestion.

8. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if any of the suggestions worked for future reference /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. TxK5Blazer

well guys I have tried every suggestions beside the pickup isn't that in the bottom of the distributor not real familar with that. The carb is only about 6months old and I dont' think that is the problem. I will take it to the shop tommorow and let them take the distributor apart and check it out.....Jason

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

check the cap for a crack in it.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Have you been hard on the motor lately? If it turns out not to be the module or some other distributor problem you may want to hink about the timing chain. I think someone else mentioned checking you timing

Just another thought

12. TxK5Blazer

ok this is a stupid question I started it this morning hard to start not like usual ok but then noticed a whinning type for noise coming from the water pump area could be the water pump or timing chain right or am I being stupid

13. TxK5Blazer

TTT

14. big pappa b

Hey, maybe my timing chain idea isn't so far off. How many miles are on it and has the timing chain or gears ever been changed??

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I had some problems with my distributor awhile back, did a lot of the things yours is doing. I took it to a shop and they said it was the module, turned out it wasn't. I took apart the cap and coil and noticed the ground wite for the coil was corroded. I cleaned it up, put it back together, and it has worked ever since. That was 2 years ago.

16. TxK5Blazer

If i am not mistaken that is the orignal timing chain that I remember. about 4 years old and I think If the is is I should change the water pump at the same time right .....Jason

17. big pappa b

Water pump is easy..you have to take it off anyway but why replace it if it's not bad??

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

how do you know it's not the coil? when my coil went a few years ago it didn't back fire but did run like s**t. a couple days later it just stopped running while iwas driving. or like a few people said it might be timing, i've revved it up enough to get the chain to jump a tooth or two. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif