Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This question is for the guys with the 40 series Flowmaster

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Mar 16, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys how loud are the 40 series flowmaster on your rigs, right now I'm waiting for the 50 series from 4-wheel parts but it's still gonna take about 3 more weeks from today they say that flowmaster stopped shipping anything for another 3 weeks but I've been waiting for 2 weeks already, my local muffler shop has the 40s in stock but people tell me that the 40s are too loud way too loud, is that true??? that's why I went with the 50s cause of the 3 chambers supposely not too loud, they were $75 each and my local muffler shop is giving me the 40s for 135 each side I have dual exhaust so that will be about 270 for the whole setup, they charge me $100 to put the ones from 4-wheel parts on it so total for that setup will be 260 but I have to wait at least 3 more weeks so what should I do.

keep blazin !!!

2. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

3. Grey Thunder

Grey Thunder Registered Member

Home: Ojai, Ca......School:Santa Cruz, Ca
    i dont think that the 40 series are too loud.. ive had both kinds and i switched from the 50's to the 40's... they sound so much better

dj

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I also run two chamber and they ar not too loud.
    They are loud but not like a glasspack, it's a deeper sound, still the same Flowmaster sound just a bit deeper
    My buddy has 3chambers and not a whole lot of difference as far as I can tel anyway
    go for it you'll lovem if you like to have that deep sound.
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

5. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I just put a 40 series on my stock 88 and am amased at how quiet it makes the truck. Overall it is a nice deeper tone than the stock muffler. The loudness has a lot to do with the engine (compression, size, cam, headers, etc...). I also have 40's on my 64 Nova with a 11:1 383 headers and 3" exhaust and for what it is, it's not too loud.
    Curtis

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have two 40 series in my dual 2.5" exhaust system. They are part #42542 and I ordered them from http://www.summitracing.com. They were $55.95 each.

They are not loud and they have a cool sound. I like their sound, but I was able to listen to them when the shop wasn't finished with the pipes. It was so cool when there were no pipes after the mufflers. Too bad the shop was almost finished bending the rest of the pipes or I would have left them that way with just a small pipe pointing downward.

Your shop must be trying to sell you the Delta-Flow 40 series which are supposed to give a little bit less interior resonance but are more expensive. Ask them for the part number. If it starts with a 9, it's a Delta-Flow.

More on my exhaust system: http://www.freeyellow.com/members7/blazer79

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

hey go for the 40...i have em on my blazer with a high flow cat. its loud enough to piss off my neighbors at 6am..he he he...but on mine i just have one flow.....its single in duel out and i love it...its sounds great or "pimp" as my friends like to say

Chaz

"The stuck lemon"

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have dual 2 inch exhaust with 40's and no cats. Love the sound. The only thing I don't like in on long hauls thay have a droan that gets tiring. Now when I had my cats on for it's bi yearly check up it was much better and toned it down. I have been told a H pipe will take some of the droan out also but havn't tried.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Hey Grey Thunder, What made you change from the 50's to the 40's ? I was thinking of going with the 50's myself. Was there something wrong with them or just wanted the extra sound out of the exhaust? If you still have the old 50's do you want to get rid of them?

<font color=red>C<font color=green>'<font color=blue>m<font color=orange>o<font color=purple>e

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like your muffler guy is using you to make his car payment. i paid 50 bucks to have my flows put on. anyway mine sound great without cats. you can go to the flowmaster website or call them and they will tell you who carries their stuff and you can just go and pick 'em up.

Phil
    82K5

11. Grey Thunder

Grey Thunder Registered Member

Home: Ojai, Ca......School:Santa Cruz, Ca
    the 40's had a better sound to my ear... they are a little more beefy and and have a more vicsious sound.. the 50's are more of a tone type sooud.. there is not much variation.. just a nice deep tone.. i just liked the sound of the 40'

dj

12. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks guys for all your replys I think I will go for the 40s I have some neighbors to piss off too and I think that'll do the job thanks again guys.

keep blazin !!!