Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This really goes without saying but.... WEAR EYE PROTECTION.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I usually wear it, but sometimes i get on a roll and forget to put on some glasses and now im in Pain from it. Just a friendly reminder to wear it. CUZ THIS HURTS LIKE HELL /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did you at least get the junk out of your eye? I've had that done more times than I care to admit. Now I don't pick up a grinder without a full face shield.

rene

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If it's a chunk of steel and you have a magnet and someone ya trust....That little piece can be fished out of your eye with the magnet. Whatever it takes to get that $hit outta there.

4. tRustyK5

Depends on how it got there. Most steel in the eye type injuries are impact injuries which means the steel is stuck to the eye and a magnet won't help. I've had them use an electic 'burr' to remove some of the nastier ones from my eyes...not fun!

Rene

5. Silver84k5

i was grinding with this Steel wheel, (looks like twisted rope) and something hit me in the eye, i dont think its stuck in there but i think it scratched my eye, every time i blink it hurts.....

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ouch! Those wire wheels have a nasty habit of slinging individual wires off of them occasionaly. I've had them stick in my arm. I can't imagine one of them hitting my eye! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I keep a full face shield in the garage just for jobs like that.

7. tRustyK5

If it hurts every time you blink you most likely have something stuck to the surface of the eye. Take a small flashlight and shine it across your eye (or have someone do it for you) while looking in a mirror. That will make things much more visible. If something is stuck get a pro to take it out...it ain't worth trying to do yourself!

Most times when I did the grinder deal and got something stuck to my eye it was in the colored part and very hard to see...

At the very least go get it looked at...life with only one eye would suck and it's not like you get spares.

Rene

8. Silver84k5

true, thx.... gonna get flash light.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i juast did that about 2 weeks ago, and I did have my safty glasses on, it somehow got around them and was in my eye for about 10 days.....

10. tRustyK5

10 minutes is too long IMHO. Plus if it's steel it'll rust/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> No fun! THere was a thread on PBB a couple months ago, the same thing happened to a guy and he actually lost his eye from it. Bad juju... Eye protection is good! I even wear ear protection these days. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That guy updated a few day's ago. They did some surgery to try to fix it. has some sight back in the eye but at a wait and see. Guy is a comercial pilot I think. Keeps saying he can't fly if he doesn't have sight in both eyes.

13. Silver84k5

oh yea that brings something else to mind, while i was sanding my Tub, getting ready for Roll on liner. I shoulda been wearing a Face mask i know breathing that dust cant be good........ And when i was rolling on the bed liner i didnt even think about inhaling those fumes until i started getting High, then i figure i better open the the windows before i start having too much fun. jeez i prolly took 2 years off my life today lol....

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    And when i was rolling on the bed liner i didnt even think about inhaling those fumes until i started getting High

[/ QUOTE ] Hey, watch it bub, I resemble those remarks... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    And whats the deal with your sig anyhow..

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Fresh Dope, It stupifies....

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I try to wear glasses even when I'm under the truck wrenchin" it sucks to get a big glob of greasy dirt in your eye too.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. Silver84k5

i copied my sig off of a Copenhagen can......

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good call. I wear safety glasses when I drill etc... but when i grind and do other HIGH rpm stuff, i like some sort of goggles that have a rubbery seal around the edges to help keep stuff out of your eyes. Amazing how much a bit of steel hit by a grinder can bounce around b4 hitting u smack dab in the eye.

j

17. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had my eyeball scratched so bad it hurt all the time, especially when I blinked. I went the doctor and he said there was nothing in my eye, it was just scratched real bad. He put a couple of drops in my eye and WAM the pain was gone! GO TO THE DOCTOR if it doesn't get better soon! It would suck if you missed the 1st run of 2003.

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing about a year ago...but I was wearing safty glasses. When you are using a grinder glasses is not enough! I went to the doctor and he took it out with a needle! I now have some goggles with a rubber seal all around them that I use when grinding.

19. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I spent thousands of dollars on Lasik a few years ago and it is a miracle to be able to see again. I don't want to screw it up with something stupid like part of a wire wheel from my grinder!

Thanks for the reminder!

20. Silver84k5

ill be there on Jan 1st whether im blind or not, ill just be sure to have a passenger to tell me where to go.......jk, when i took a shower this morning it came out or healed but it doesnt hurt anymore so im good to go.