Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This says it all

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Muddytazz, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a .m. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on! a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

so very true /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Capitalism rears it's ugly head....... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Unfortunately, a large percentage of the above products are products of greedy American companies that make a bigger profit by using cheap labour to produce/build/assemble their stuff in foreign countries. So actually it's your own corporate structure to blame for the influx of foreign-made products.

It's the same thing up here- Natural gas that's pulled from the ground 50 miles from my house costs me MORE to buy than people in Chicago because the Greater Chicago area uses as much gas in a day as three of our provinces. What hurts even more is that the Alberta Government subsidized the Canadian portion of the pipeline that feeds to Chicago. So Canadian oil companies and Governments would rather make more money than take care of their fellow countrymen.

Greed runs the world, I guess.........

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a .m. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on! a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Unions /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] When I hear thank you Unions I hear "thank you stupid american joes trying to keep the management honest and make a living", so yes please elaborate.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I believe what Bubba is so eloquently referring to is that because Unions have evolved into money-grubbing quasi-corporations demanding ever-increasing wages for their workers, businesses are forced to farm out their production to foreign countries where people's standard of living(and thus their wages) are significantly lower.

If you owned a business, and someone would make your product for less than half of what your neighbor offered to make it for, you'd be a fool to pay your neighbor the higher wage. And before you start flinging around concepts like patriotism and such, remember that big business is all about MAKING MONEY, plain and simple.

But do you know who's really to blame? People like you and me who continue to buy foreign products.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Sometimes it takes looking long and hard to buy a product made in the USA, especially since there's a town in Japan called USA, and "Made in America" could just as well mean American Samoa or Puerto Rico. If I can be sure that a product was made in the States, however, I am more than willing to pay a few bucks more to know I am supporting honest hard working factory employees like my father!

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is what we get for all that b!tching we (collectively) did about working conditions and saleries after the industrial revolution. At some point, it isnt worth it to deal with all that crap for business owners, so they go over seas. makes perfect sense to me....

j

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe what Bubba is so eloquently referring to is that because Unions have evolved into money-grubbing quasi-corporations demanding ever-increasing wages for their workers, businesses are forced to farm out their production to foreign countries where people's standard of living(and thus their wages) are significantly lower.

If you owned a business, and someone would make your product for less than half of what your neighbor offered to make it for, you'd be a fool to pay your neighbor the higher wage. And before you start flinging around concepts like patriotism and such, remember that big business is all about MAKING MONEY, plain and simple.

But do you know who's really to blame? People like you and me who continue to buy foreign products.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Well.............theres only one problem with that statement. Over the many many years of trade and import/export things have been learned. The US had tried to put high tariffs on imported items to keep items made in the USA first choice. What they didnt expect was the other countrys did the same thing back to us and some even banned the import of US goods. This was a disaster because we could not export our goods and the prices of raw material needed to manufacturer goods was outragous. As time has gone by, and the new "global economy" has emerged, imports and exports still become a major argument. Today, the good ol United States is the #1 Exporter in the world. We export way more than we import. Therefore, there would be even less available jobs in the US and higher prices if we were to stop importing products. I know it doesnt look right but more US jobs are to manufacturer goods we send out of the country then are are lost by importing.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If everything were made in America. That 200 dollar TV "Made In Indonesia" would probabally cost 600.00 if made here because of high labor costs (UNIONS). Far fewer people would be able to afford one and our economy would be in the tank. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    By importing lots cheap forign goods we keep lots of Americans working. Someone has to unload the ships. transport the goods unpack them and sell them to you. All these people get Payed money and go out and buy more cheap TVs to keep the system going.
    Selling 100 cheap imported TVs that most people can afford does far more good for the economy than selling 1 American made TV for 600.00 to some rich person.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup....

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"greed. n. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth"

in spite of the fact that "excessive" and "deserves" are pretty subjective, I think the word "greed" is overused and misused by a lot of people. If someone has the skill/knowledge/ability to make a LOT of money, and they do so, then they deserve it. Its not greed at all IMO.

j