Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This sucks, K5 stranded

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 13, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My brand new 0 gauge wiring to the starter looks partially melted, so I had to leave it and got to go back this afternoon to pick it up. Had to do a hack (I know, I know) job on the smaller leads because even though the book said these wires were for a K5, apparently they are not.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Where is it stranded??????

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Yea what he said,where you at? I got cables.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It's out at Woodlake. I'm going out this afternoon to get it. I shouldn't have any problems starting it this time.

The long story is this. Last year when I was putting it back together, I went to Pep Girls to get some new battery cables in the 0 gauge variety. So I look up the part number in the book, get the corresponding cables and go home. The lead wires for the alternator and ground were too short, so I cut and spliced and got everything hooked up. Ever since then, when the thing has been hot, the starter has been real slack about turning over. This is what happened today, but it wouldn't go and the battery started smoking, so we got some cables and that still didn't work. So I started looking at the starter and the wire coming off the battery looks like it has seen too much extreme heat and has some signs of melting. So in the morning, it's down the store with the wires and get some new wires. Unfortunately, I probably won't get started tonight since as soon as I get back into town, I got to go grab my father-in-law and go look at a 4Runner for my wife.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Heck, i woulda sacrificed a jumper cable and just cut that open and hook it up directly to the starter.

6. gokartergo

Where is woodlake???

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

About 25 miles northeast of Visalia, in the foothills of the foothills of the Sierra. Got the beast back a little while ago. It started right up, brought it home. Talked to my chief mechanic about the vibration and I hope to heck it doesn't take an arm and a leg to hunt it down.

8. gokartergo

Glad you got it home...Usually between Nor-Cal and So-Cal Big Dawgs there is somebody close by to help....Dan

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Dan has a point. Just drop a message on either of our forums and someone will chime in with some help. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif