Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

this time ? about bridgestone

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1st timer, Dec 13, 2000.

1. 1st timer

1st timer Registered Member

has anybody had any expirience with them bridgestone thornbirds how long would they last for everyday use or what other tires are good that has a real aggresive thread i like the way they loook

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Aren't Thornbirds made by Interco? Also as a "Newbie," you will find that the mention of Bridgestone on this web-site is very politically incorrect, I learned this real quick as when I inquired about Bridgestone Duler M/T's. Apparently, Bridgestone donated some land to some tree hugging group and closed it off.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Thorn birds are made by Interco, and from everything ive heard, they suck. Not that hot off road, on road they suck and wear like they are made of cheese. They clog up in mud and dont self clean very well. (all second hand)

Anyone with first hand exp?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Derf00: Is this true? If so I will be removing the Duelers from my tank ASAP...no tree huggers on my K5

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Bridgestone is the parent company to Firestone. If you want to trust your life to a company that doesn't give a crap about it's customers[​IMG], then by all means. Personally, I wouldn't let them pay me to run their tires. I'm not directing this to anyone in perticular, it is only intended to offend Bridgestone/Firestone, and to voice my opinion.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Thornbirds are the ultimate poser tire. They're kind of like silicone muscle implants for your truck. They look big and tough, but leave you worse off then when you started. If you look through the pages of 4Wheel&Off-Road or 4-Wheeler, you will notice that the Thornbirds appear only on shiny "Reader's Rides", never on the featured hard-core wheeling vehicels. There must be a reason for that.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

My k5 had Bridgestone Desert Duelers before I got the Goodyears. No complaints, they weren't bad, weren't good, but good enough at the time. One did blow out on the freeway and beat the hell out of the fender. The tire was at proper pressure and in good condition. It seperated at the tread like the firestones that kill people. Coincidence? Maybe, or maybe a long history of crappy tires from Bridgestone/Firestone.

Brian
    84k5

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

SK-15,

I personally never checked out what several members said about Bridgestone, but since several said the same thing, I assumed it was. The rest of the story is as follows: Bridgestone was not on my list of tires I would have put on our Jimmy. However, a guy I know offered me a set of Bridgestone 33x12.5x15 Dueler M/T's on 15x10 AE for $600. Since my son was earning the money to do some of the mods we we doing, this was an opportunity to save $5-600. For that kind of savings, to hell with political correctness. The savings allowed us to do several other things we wanted. As you know, once you start doing mods, there is never a stopping place. After we do a shackle flip and extended shackles, 35" BFG or Swampers are now moving to the top of our list. With respect to Bridgestone tires, I have no complaints, they have done just fine in mud, snow and ice.

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My friend had Firestone Wilderness Atx's on his Fudge Ramcharger... and the tire was about 2 years old with 90 percent tread on them.. It seperated.. Firestone told him that his tire wasn't on the recall list.. Beat the hell out of his fender also.
    I have a set of 30x10.50 R15's on one of my trucks.. it's just to roll it in and out of the garage.. But I'm getting rid of them.. Can't trust them.
    Heard bad things about Bridgestone's also.. since Firestone own's them.
    I'll spend the extra cash.. for some Goodyear MT/R's.

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com