Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

This Toyota I Looked At...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So I saw a late 80's type Toyota Pickup in a parking lot with a for sale sign... I figured I'd peep it since it looked like it could drive over my Explorer...

38" Swampers, not bad. 35" spare BFG Mud Terrain on a different rim... Not cool, but acceptable I suppose... Sweet roll bar... bright red paint... nerf bars... about 6 exhaust pipes coming out the side of the bed... solid front axle... nice big grille guard and some kind of bumper thinger... Fuel Injected... nice red interior... I'm thinking this is one heck of a truck, maybe I should read the sign and see what it says...

For Sale: 1986 Toyota Pickup, 4x4 (/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif like I couldn't tell), 38" Swampers, lots of extra stuff, 4 cyl, 110,000 miles...

So some INSANE freakazoid took a 4x4 Toyota, jacked it up, and put 38's on it... That's cool, I like old skool Toyotas, and this one wasn't rediculously large like a pink one I've seen driving around... Just right for me...

BUT WHAT IN THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING trying to turn 38's with a frickin 4cyl?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Call me crazy, and I've never in my life been inside or driven a Toyota, but I've also never been in a truck with a 4 cyl engine that had enough power to move the TRUCK much less a set of 38's /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I left kind of disappointed... I just assumed it had a v6 since it was jacked up so much and had such huge tires... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've also never been in a truck with a 4 cyl engine that had enough power to move the TRUCK much less a set of 38's

[/ QUOTE ]
    One word.......Gears /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man those little 22r's are a bad ass littl motor, they do really well, you'd be suprized, although 38 might be a little much, me and my dad pulled a f-250+boad and trailer up the boat ramp with his, when to dudes tranny let go, i was impressed

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've also never been in a truck with a 4 cyl engine that had enough power to move the TRUCK much less a set of 38's

[/ QUOTE ]
    One word.......Gears /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that, and light weight. Run 5.71s with a V8 and you could probably pull 60" tractor tires if you want.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

exactly, running 4.88s or 5.29s and dual cases (one with 4.7 or 5.0 gears) is hella common in the yota off-roading world. No reason at all why you cant run 38s when you have a 150-200:1 ratio.

j

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    exactly, running 4.88s or 5.29s and dual cases (one with 4.7 or 5.0 gears) is hella common in the yota off-roading world. No reason at all why you cant run 38s when you have a 150-200:1 ratio.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

would you??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. bga

bga Registered Member

22R Motors have the possibility of becoming a torque monster.

How does an 86 22RE rolling 311HP 323Ft. Lbs. sound? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It rolls a set of cut 44" Boggers with 5.29 gears like they were street tires.

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    would you??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should ask, I plan on building my own single-seat tube buggy (bender is being shipped, got a welder) at some point in the relatively-near term and Im going to use a 100% toy drivetrain and plan on running weld forged AL rims and 38.5" (if they are out by then!) iroks. Admitedly I chose that tire/rim combo because its about as light as is possible at that diameter, but still, there are plenty of people who get away with heavier tires on yodas.

A good running 22re is a fine 4x4 motor assuming you have a good gear ratio. There are enough axle upgrades out there for yotas that all weak points outside the ring gear have been addressed (300M shafts, longfield birfs, extra hub studs etc). I'm not the type to hammer on the skinny pedal, so my r&p oughta be fine. Im gonna run 4.88 gears, one t-case at 2.3, the second at 4.7, and the trannys 1st is like 3.6 or something.... thats almost 190:1. Oughta be plenty. It may not even move if one t-case isnt in low... but thats ok, its gonna be an off-road-only rig anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A good running 22re is a fine 4x4 motor assuming you have a good gear ratio. There are enough axle upgrades out there for yotas that all weak points outside the ring gear have been addressed (300M shafts, longfield birfs, extra hub studs etc). I'm not the type to hammer on the skinny pedal, so my r&p oughta be fine. Im gonna run 4.88 gears, one t-case at 2.3, the second at 4.7, and the trannys 1st is like 3.6 or something.... thats almost 190:1. Oughta be plenty. It may not even move if one t-case isnt in low... but thats ok, its gonna be an off-road-only rig anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I hear Ya on that one Jek. I have a 52 M-38A1 Jeep minus the body. I would like to swap in a set of Yota axels and a 22RE along with a Yota 5 speed and t-case. Then bend some tube all around it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    with dual cases you can get a crawl ratio of 1000:1+ ... plenty to turn 38's. i've seen samurais with 1.6L engines turn 38's and sling mud like crazy /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. jekbrown

well sure, you could go 5:1 in both cases plus 5.29 in the axles... that'd be almost 500:1. Dont see the axles surviving very long, but you could do it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Im not sure the 2nd t-case would survive either. yoda t-cases are high quality, but they aren't designed to handle 1st gear plus a 5x multiplier from the front t-case. this is why almost all yoda dual case guys run stock low in the 1st case and the 4.7 or 5.0 in the rear case.

j